Yamaha ytr-135

Discussion in 'Horns' started by Bandnerd101, Nov 11, 2016.

1. Bandnerd101

Bandnerd101 New Friend

Nov 11, 2016
    Has anyone heard of this model before? I tried to do research but I haven't found anything about this particular horn. Is it any good? Found this on eBay :dontknow: https://www.ebay.com/itm/131999486845

2. Lucky paul

Lucky paul New Friend

Oct 24, 2016
    Valencia Spain
    Hi,it looks like a chineses yamaha,if you want one to last as you progress try for a higher model one im led to believe the japanese model ones sound better and have the monel valves,im just sterting up again after a long time off went through a few cheaper chinese ones then got a 4335g,the difference is amazing,it is quite versatile and sounds top quality,,for a beginers horn looks ok,but aftyer throwing good money after bad,id go up a bit the 2335g is nice aswell,,good luck,Paul

3. barliman2001

barliman2001 Fortissimo User

Jul 5, 2010
    Vienna, Austria, Europe
    Well, I would keep my money for a better horn...

4. Peter McNeill

Peter McNeill Utimate User

Jan 30, 2009
    Melbourne Australia
    It is an early 70's Japanese made student horn Yamaha.

Yamaha trumpets currently run with a 4 number system.
    YTR = Yamaha Trumpet
    The first Number is the hint to quality and playability:
    1 = beginner (e.g YTR- 135) current is YTR-1335
    2 - student
    3 - student
    4 - advanced student
    5 - high level advanced student
    6 - First level Pro
    etc... Xeno - top shelf Yamaha
    YTR-1335 - Bb Trumpets - Trumpets - Brass/Woodwinds - Musical Instruments - Products - Yamaha United States

If you are a beginner, then it may suit for about 6 months. It looks to be in good condition, but in truth that is an expensive horn. I would have thought around $100 to 120 max. I would Pass...

5. Lucky paul

Lucky paul New Friend

Oct 24, 2016
    Valencia Spain
    ahh think peter knows a bit more than me,its a jap after all,but yeah save a bit,,,,and youll find something that will do for a long time,love the 4335g,i just started back again,,loveley sound,,

6. vern

vern Piano User

Mar 4, 2008
    Michigan
    Would not recommend a trumpet without a 3rd valve slide ring as it is essential, even for beginner.

7. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    [​IMG]

Peter McNeill likes this.
  8. BrassBandMajor

BrassBandMajor Fortissimo User

Jan 13, 2015
    London
    My first horn was a YTR1335. Not bad horn, served me well for years but the valve section is somewhat short so uncomfortable for the big hands, a little stuffier in the upper register but it's a good horn. Mine was made in China, it was a China Yamaha but it was a good horn.

9. RRVancil

RRVancil Piano User

Sep 24, 2009
    Littleton, Colorado
    Hi,

I purcased a YTR 2335 for around $225, then had it cleaned and gone over by a tech for an additional $50 and it was ready to go. I think this horn is underrated. You've got third valve ring and a first valve saddle for tuning and I believe this one comes with Monel valves. Should be good for five years. After that you can use it for an outdoor horn in high school.

There are a lot of these around. Check your local Craigslist as well as Ebay.

Good luck.

Rick

10. Bflatman

Bflatman Forte User

Nov 27, 2008
    Manchester, England
    I agree yamaha are good horns the quality control is utterly top quality, this means these are one of the few makes that you can buy blind and know the instrument is going to be just as playable just as reliable and just as lyrical and musical as the next yamaha of the same model. They make great student horns as has been attested to.

That is one of the things that makes yamaha stand out. Plus the horns are excellent.

What I would say is the third slide ring is needed so a more modern instrument is preferred, I would say wait for a more recent ytr2335 to come along.