Yamaha Ytr-232, Bobby Shew and the Emperors new clothes

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by GrahamH, Feb 16, 2014.

1. GrahamH

GrahamH New Friend

Feb 5, 2014
    Edinburgh, Scotland
    I think the Yamaha is in fact the newest of my half dozen trumpets. Most played now is probably my Besson international from 1974, the year before B&H downgraded the range. Think it was Bessons last attempt to show superiority, fantastic instrument, never played better. I like my earlier New Standard Besson too, although very heavy.

2. Ed Kennedy

Ed Kennedy Forte User

Nov 18, 2006
    My opinion as a former Schilke worker in the '70's: the 6xx/7xx series are the direct descendants of Schilke design. Yamaha started to diverge with the 6xxx series. The light weight series (6310, 6320,6340) retained much of the Schilke character.

3. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    I personally think that the Xeno is the Renold Schilke concept carried to its logical extreme (with almost unlimited R&D available). That does not mean that they sound like a Schilke, but that Renold taught them much more than cloning his horns. They have the manufacturing precision and piece to piece consistency that Schilke is still known for and their own very unique voice.

Renold did not build "standard" sounding horns and the Schilke was always easy to pick out in a crowd