Yamaha YTR 2320 or Getzen 300

Discussion in 'Horns' started by SamuelUK, Feb 14, 2017.

1. SamuelUK

SamuelUK New Friend

Jan 8, 2017
    Washington
    Getzen 300 or Yamaha YTR 2320

I found a getzen 300 for 225$ online. I already have a Yamaha YTR 2320 but ive seen people say the getzen is the best. Should I stay with my Yamaha or sell it and get the getzen? I got the Yamaha for 300$, and there is nothing wrong with it. So should I stick with the Yamaha YTR 2320, or should I sell it and get the getzen 300? Which one is better?
    Thanks for the help

2. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    For your level of playing, it makes no difference. They are only student horns and the differences are marginal. More important for you is to practice enough so that in 5 years you are playing well enough to deserve a professional horn where there are significant differences.

3. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    Although I'm a bit of a Getzen fan, I don't care for the 300 models. The Bb is great for banging into stuff, however.

4. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    You already have 1 student horn, you probably don't need another. I too am a Getzen fan, however, the 300 isn't a step up, but just lateral and I don't see anything to be gained. Yamaha makes good horns. I would stick with your Yamaha unless you want to be a collector! ;-)

5. SamuelUK

SamuelUK New Friend

Jan 8, 2017
    Washington
    Im trying to get some for my twin brothers that will be starting this next school year. Im sure they will be playing till highschool, and I want to find something that will last them a while. Which one is at a higher level, or better quality overall?

6. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    To repeat myself, Neither is better or at a higher level. Decent student horn, no more, no less.

7. Gendreauj

Gendreauj Piano User

Aug 26, 2013
    Metro-Detroit
    Getzen 400 is the next level. As other posters stated, both are student horns. I had a Getzen 300 didn't suit me either. Keep the Yamaha. Don't buy another student horn. Save your money for lessons or a used professional horn.

8. larry tscharner

larry tscharner Forte User

Apr 30, 2010
    dubuque iowa
    But, when you do go for a step up, Get A Getzen! You wont be sorry. I'm jus sayin. Best wishes.

9. Glennx

Glennx Pianissimo User

Aug 16, 2009
    Ottawa
    My comeback horn was a Yamaha 2335 and my son has a Getzen 400. I agree completely with Rowuk, but can add that the Yamaha student line is more ruggedly built than the student Getzens. If the young player/s in question are really respectful of their instruments then I'd recommend the lighter Getzen. If less-than-always-careful handling is anticipated, go for the Yamaha.