Yamaha YTR-2320 v. 2335?

Discussion in 'Horns' started by albertoribas, Sep 15, 2016.

1. albertoribas

albertoribas New Friend

Sep 15, 2016
    I have a slightly damaged Yamaha trumpet 2320 that will take about $100 to repair. On the other hand, I have a nice offer ($225) on a YTR-2335 in very good shape.

Any specific differences between both trumpets that I should take into account? I know both are student/entry models, that 2320 is an older model, and that the 2335 bore is slightly longer.

2. trickg

trickg Utimate User

Oct 26, 2003
    Baltimore/DC
    I'm not sure what you are looking for in regard to an answer. Yes, they are both student model horns, and they are probably going to be more similar than different - the 2335 has a tuning slide brace and a thumb saddle on the first valve slide - you'll have the ability to adjust for pitch with the 1st valve slide, and it might be slightly more secure in slotting with the braced tuning slide. Or not. I haven't played a student model horn for any length of time for decades, so I wouldn't really know how they would play, and you may not have the chops to be able to truly discern a difference anyway.

Pick one and be done. Personally, I'd probably go with the 2335 rather than the 2320, mainly due to the 1st valve slide saddle.

3. SausageRoll

SausageRoll Pianissimo User

Apr 13, 2016
    I'm wondering what you mean by slightly damaged. My C trumpet has dents everywhere and plays beautifully.

If you can try the 2335 with an open mind you'll find out if it's an improvement or not. I wouldn't give $100 for a 1st valve saddle (or trigger or whatever) but that's just me. My guess is that those are going to be extremely similar.

4. Jolter

Jolter Piano User

Apr 1, 2009
    Sweden
    I wouldn't get a 2335, with the price of the 4335 being where it's at right now (at least in my location). The 4335 would be the significant step up from the 2320 that you seem to be looking for.
    Perhaps look at used 4335 and 6335s?

As always, play before you buy, but I wouldn't sink more money into a student horn unless you're still quite green. Of course, SausageRoll is right to ask about the damage, I'd also be interested in knowing that.

5. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    If you fix the one you own, it's going to cost you $100. To get the other horn, you'll put out an extra $125 and still have the damaged 2330. If you can get $125 for it, it's a wash and you get an intonation aid. I would personally get it fixed. I don't do well selling horns! :roll: