Yamaha YTR-6335 vs YTR-6345

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Dorabil, Jul 19, 2010.

1. Dorabil

Dorabil Pianissimo User

Jul 6, 2009
    Rhode Island
    OK, rookie question here. I play a cornet with a .0462 bore. I love this cornet. I'd like to also get a trumpet. I like the sounds of the Yamaha Bobby Shew and I believe it's the same as the YTR-6335, but noticed that a trumpet that I'm looking at, the YTR-6345 has the same bore as my cornet. The YTR-6335 has a .0459 bore. Does that small a difference in bore size even make much of a difference? Would I find it easier to play ones with equal bore size. And does it even matter?
    Dottie

2. reedy

reedy Piano User

Jul 31, 2009
    Wiltshire, UK
    go and find out! go find a shop that stockes both and try them and see how it feels, i play a ML bach omega trumpet and a bach strad L cornet and they are feel to me very very similar, go and try and see what happens

3. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Dottie,
    the bore is not what makes those horns different. The 6335 does have a brighter sound though. A student of mine has one and it SCREAMS. It is so easy to play and so much fun and if you are playing second or third, you can really needle the first players. A couple of other students have the 6345 and they are also easy to play but seem to be more "elegant" in sound.

If I had less than $1,000 to spend, I would get one of these used.

4. gglassmeyer

gglassmeyer Piano User

Apr 28, 2006
    Cincinnati, OH
    the bobby shew model is a 6310, the 6335 was the standard weight yamaha pro model and I think the 6345 was one of their heavier weight horns. The 6335 is the jack of all trades good solid horn. The 6345 will lean more to the orchestral sound and it is like a .462 bore which is really not much bigger than the 6335 which is like .460.

You should be able to find the specs for all of these on yamaha's website or brassreview.com

Though you should not rely on specs alone and just because your cornet is a .462 bore doesn't mean you need to have a .462 trumpet. Try a bunch and find what you like best. Yamaha makes really nice horns and you really can't go wrong with either model. If you're looking to play more commercial style music the 6335 would be my preference, the 6345 for classical stuff.

Greg

5. Dorabil

Dorabil Pianissimo User

Jul 6, 2009
    Rhode Island
    Boy, I wish I could, but I'd have to drive a couple of hundred miles to find a store.
    Dottie

6. Dorabil

Dorabil Pianissimo User

Jul 6, 2009
    Rhode Island
    Maybe I'll just have to buy a couple of used ones and try them out for myself. I went thru about 8 cornets before I settled on my 6330 so maybe it will be the same way for a trumpet. A friend of mine has a Bobby Shew and I really like the sound. I must have had a brain fade with the model numbers. Thanks for the feedback. I have found this forum to be a great help to me, Dottie

7. gglassmeyer

gglassmeyer Piano User

Apr 28, 2006
    Cincinnati, OH
    one other thing to mention is that the 6xxx series are the older yamaha line. The newer xeno line models have the 8xxx numbers and these are the models you seem to find mostly in the shops these days. The old bobby shew model was 6310 but now it's numbered 8310.

If you like your friend's bobby shew horn, you could probably find a good deal on a used one. Ask your friend if you can borrow his/hers for a week or two and play the heck out of it in all of your normal playing situations. If you still like it after that time buy yourself one. Yamaha's consistency between the same model of horn is pretty good. If you like one chances are you'll like another.

8. Paul Du Bourg

Paul Du Bourg Pianissimo User

Oct 27, 2006
    JHB
    Don't muck around.

Get yourself the 8310 and be done with it !!!

Technical issues disappear instantaneously allowing participant to concentrate
    on more important issues like the blues!!

Cheers

Paul.

9. Dorabil

Dorabil Pianissimo User

Jul 6, 2009
    Rhode Island
    Thanks so much guys. You've been a big help. Yes I'd like to go out and buy a new 8310, but I don't want to have to refinance my house to get one. I play in a small community band, and for my own amusement. I love to play. The Yamahas work well for me and I can readily get parts. I would rather have a used pro horn than a new student horn, so I've been looking in that area.
    Dottie

10. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    I like your attitude! What will it take to get you to post here more often A-dorabil?