Yamaha YTR-738

Discussion in 'Horns' started by dizforprez, Jun 17, 2004.

1. dizforprez

dizforprez Forte User

Nov 2, 2003
    what can you guys tell me about this model yamaha.

2. trumpetpimp

trumpetpimp Piano User

Dec 6, 2003
    Toronto
    From the Yamaha website:

Model: YTR-738
    Years: 1974-1984
    Key: Bb
    Bore: .463"
    Bell Size: 5"
    Material: Yellow Brass
    Finish: Silver
    Weight: Light
    Current Model: YTR-6345GS

Another site I found on the web(I have no idea how reputable because I didn't linger) said it was a copy of the Schilke X3. *shrug*

3. dcstep

dcstep Mezzo Piano User

Nov 27, 2003
    Denver
    I played one for a year or so. It's a great horn, with a blow like a ml, not feeling as large as the bore size might lead you to believe. These are Schilke-style trumpets with all the benefits of a Schilke horn.

Make certain the valves are fine. As with Schilkes of the same period, sometime in the '70s the Yamahas and Schilkes were cursed with Yammalloy. Go to the Schilke Loyalist site for a detailed discussion of the problem and the fix. I'd consider purchasing a horn with Yammalloy, BUT I'd pay two or three-hundred less.

Near mint 738s go around $600, representing an incredible bargain. I liked mine so much that I bought a new 6310Z before landing on my current Selmer.

Dave

4. trickg

trickg Utimate User

Oct 26, 2003
    Baltimore/DC
    At one point I had a Yamaha YTR 734 or 739 T, that I think would be very similar that was a GREAT horn. This one would have been made sometime in 1981. It was light and had a very big sound. I still kick myself for getting rid of it, but at the time, I had a Bach Strad and the Bach HAD to be better than the Yamaha, right?

If you can find one at a good price, scoop it up.

5. trickg

trickg Utimate User

Oct 26, 2003
    Baltimore/DC
    edit: oops. Double post.

6. dizforprez

dizforprez Forte User

Nov 2, 2003
    thanks for the info guys!

7. mheffernen5

mheffernen5 Pianissimo User

I saw something from around that time period someone in my section had as a loner. I really liked the looks of it but the valves were sometimes a little bit of a problem from the guy.

I have seen some on Ebay go pretty affordable though :)