Yamaha zeno WEIGHT

Discussion in 'Horns' started by ronald wilk, Apr 13, 2004.

1. ronald wilk

ronald wilk New Friend

Mar 25, 2004
    Florida
    :?:
    Hi:
    Is anyone privy to the actual weight of a Yamaha Zeno 8335RGS or a Callet Jazz? It seems that very few trumpet producers actually list the weight of their horns but instead describe the thickness of their brass.
    Thank you. :?:

2. MUSICandCHARACTER

MUSICandCHARACTER Forte User

Jan 31, 2004
    Newburgh, Indiana
    There may be a good reason for that. Weight alone is not a the only comfort factor. How the weight is balanced makes a big difference. Also, we put up with heavier horns if we like the sound.

I know some horns weight quite a bit more than other horns, but balance is an important aspect.

M&C

3. ronald wilk

ronald wilk New Friend

Mar 25, 2004
    Florida
    Zeno weight

:idea:
    Thank you for your reply, however, although balance is indeed an important concept, weight remains a reasonable descriptive factor particularly when one speaks in relative terms such as heavy vs light weight horns. Without a benchmark for comparison, the aforementioned descriptives have limited value,other than to imply that one is heavier than another...like saying that a peanut is lighter than a hummer!
    Thank you just that same,however, for your insight.

4. slimshady

slimshady Pianissimo User

Nov 24, 2003
    I would compare it to the weight of a bach strad. Its neither a light weight or heavy weight. My impression of the Xeno was a yamaha approaching the bach sound. Back to back I prefer the blow of the Bach. The Xeno build is very solid and I think it's a nice horn.

5. slimshady

slimshady Pianissimo User

Nov 24, 2003
    Oh....Callet. Hmmm... I owned one for 5 yrs. I think it was also similar in weight to a Bach.....if not it would be a little be lighter I think.

6. MUSICandCHARACTER

MUSICandCHARACTER Forte User

Jan 31, 2004
    Newburgh, Indiana
    Re: Zeno weight

True, but it is funny that trombone players hold up a lot more weight (especially bass trombone players) and few worry about the weight as a comparative factor. Even a well balanced trombone is very heavy if it has one or two valves and the associated plumbing.

Obviously if weight/sound were not at least some trade off, most would play pocket trumpets, or at least cornets. I guess a well-built horn, that is comfortable and plays the way you want is worth holding up a few more ounces. But I would also guess a if it came down to selecting between two great horns, perhaps the lighter one would win out. Does that happen? I don't know :)

M&C

7. ronald wilk

ronald wilk New Friend

Mar 25, 2004
    Florida
    Trumpet weight

Although all of the responses were appreciated, it appears that the answer to my question is so elusive that all responders chose to skirt the issue and answer in "relative" terms.
    Weighing a horn would seem to be a simple matter and, if I had a mass of such brass at my disposal, I would indeed do so and solve the lingering question.
    As for "manufacturers having good reason to avoid such info," I see no logic behind that statement whatsoever. For example, in many parts of this country, it has proven difficult to find a depot (i.e. store) that stocks a large enough number of varied brands to make a trip worthwhile. Enter the internet, where photos of various horns, manufacturers, resellers and forums abound. In some cases, this triumvirate represents the only source of preliminary information for a prospective buyer and yes, for some, the actual physical weight may temper the decision making process.
    Using the above sources of information, the only manufacturer's web site, that I have found to date, that has seen fit to post such exacting info is that of Taylor Instruments.
    Thank you all once again for your input.

8. dizforprez

dizforprez Forte User

Nov 2, 2003
    i dont know if this helps but my Xeno C is heavier than many B flats i have played.

9. ronald wilk

ronald wilk New Friend

Mar 25, 2004
    Florida
    No gold ring

Hi Disforprez:
    Unfortunately, the answer to your question is a resounding no!
    In an exacting world, answers such as "bigger than a bread box, smaller than the Empire State Building," are ludicrous. It seems that manufacturers have no problem stating such precise measurements as bore dimensions, mouthpiece characteristics, etc., why not the actual weight of their product? After all, some older comeback players might find that information useful and if not, then at the very least the information will prove useful to the shippers.

10. dizforprez

dizforprez Forte User

Nov 2, 2003
    the weight differnce will be small....close to a Bach...

if you were to ship a Bach or a yamaha Xeno i am sure the shipping cost would be the same.
    As far as a bench mark there is one...BACH!

taylor monette = heavy

normal Bach = mid weight

average yamaha and other horns = light

big picture is that weight doesnt mean that much in how it will play.

btw
    i have seen some site on the intenet that weighted all the differnt horns and had it in a chart but i cant find that site right now for you.