Yamalone...what is it?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by crowmadic, Jan 5, 2007.

1. crowmadic

crowmadic Mezzo Piano User

Oct 3, 2006
    I believe it was Alex who displayed a Yamalone in her Thread. I've never heard of one. Can someone enlighten me: what key, what sound, what range, etc.............

2. loudog

loudog Piano User

Jan 4, 2004
    Grand Island, NE
    It's a Yamaha trumpet converted by Bob Malone (before he worked for Yamaha).

I used to own a 6445HGII C trumpet with this conversion. The conversion consists of a bell annealing, movable brace between the bell and first valve slide, new leadpipe and tuning slide (hidden reverse). These all improve the intonation and response of the instrument. My Yamalone sounded a lot like a Bach (albeit not quite) too.

The new Yamaha Artist Series trumpets are basically this design, but on a more mass produced level. My Yamalone was the best Yamaha C I've played, and that includes the Artist series horns. I'm sorry I ever sold it. I'm playing a Bach 229 with a Malone conversion now...a "Bachalone." I do like it better than the Yamaha, but I still wish I had it. Hahah...I'm never ever selling any trumpets again!

3. Alex Yates

Alex Yates Forte User

Aug 11, 2005
    Atlanta, GA
    You are exactly right Loudog. Mine was/is a sahweeeeet horn too. I hated to part with it, but it is in good hands now. I sold it because I am not a "collector" and usually only have the horns I use along with a back up C and Bflat. I also wasn't playing my Bach C anymore and wanted to keep it as well, but some of us must sell horns to obtain others and it just wasn't practical. That horn is also in good hands now. ;-)

4. Tootsall

Tootsall Fortissimo User

Oct 25, 2003
    Yee HAW!
    BIG hands, anyway! :lol:

5. crowmadic

crowmadic Mezzo Piano User

Oct 3, 2006
    OK then, thanks to all.