Year end trumpet workshop/symposium

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by William Haubrich, Apr 20, 2013.

1. William Haubrich

William Haubrich New Friend

Jan 1, 2008
    Greetings,

I will be visiting the U.S. from 2nd week of December to mid-January. Does anyone know of any trumpet workshops/symposiums at this time?
    Regards,
    William

2. graysono

graysono Mezzo Forte User

Jan 22, 2007
    Hyde Park, Utah
    My impression is that the club scene (e.g., jazz)--not exactly what you were asking after--starts to diminish about mid-Dec as the calendar heads toward Xmas. The college scene--another prospect for recitals, concerts etc--also diminishes after about 1-2 weeks into Dec. You might try the calendar for the other site and see what they say. My guess is that the workshop/symposium scene is similar.

3. William Haubrich

Jan 1, 2008
    Many thanks for your reply! Are you referring to specific calendars on this and other sites? Are there national schedules and calendars for symposiums?
    Regards,
    William

4. William Haubrich

Jan 1, 2008
    Many thanks for your reply! Are you referring to specific calendars on this and other sites? Are there national schedules and calendars for symposiums?
    Regards,
    William

5. graysono

graysono Mezzo Forte User

Jan 22, 2007
    Hyde Park, Utah
    No, no specific calendars, just my experiences. We, too often travel around Xmas time and those are our findings. I don't know of any national schedules. Various groups might have their own schedules, but there is no national schedule for the kind of events you are asking about, that I know of. Workshops and seminars tend to be conducted by institutions which shut down many of their operations over the holiday season in order to give their employees holidays, too. Also, I think they have found over the years that attendance at events like you are asking about dwindles the closer the holidays.

If you were to be in NYC you could examine The New Yorker magazine before coming. They publish a weekly schedule of cultural events in the city. Again, these are not workshops.

Last edited: Apr 21, 2013
  6. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    In cities there should be some Symphony "pops" Christmas concerts, and maybe some performances of the Weihnachts-Oratorium, providing a chance to explore American style and acoustics. If you like the first player, invite them out for coffee and talk shop with them. Silvester should provide a good chance to hear some big bands, and again, you can make a coffee date or maybe grab a lesson. January tends to be pretty much a lull for many trumpeters.

Viel SpaƟ!