Yearly Trumpet Cycles

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by DaHillkiller, Jan 18, 2016.

1. DaHillkiller

DaHillkiller New Friend

Nov 26, 2015
    I have a very irritating cycle when it comes to my range on trumpet. It gets better by the year, which is great. The problem is, I don't get better than the last year until the end of the year by which time I have to start over, albeit a little higher. For example, last year (freshman in high school) at the beginning of the year I was fairly comfortable with a C above the staff. Not totally, but it was OK. I took a hit coming back for the second semester, even though I practiced (once every 2-3 days) over break. Finally by the end of the year I was quite consistent with the D above the staff and could more often than not hit the E.

This year, like every year, my chops were garbage at band camp. I was playing from 9-5, minus two or three hours. By the end of the camp, I was lucky to hit a G on top of the staff. However I began building back up to being comfortable at C above the staff. Now that I am back from winter break (and I practiced every 2-3 days) I am having trouble going above the staff. It seems this year, after taking jazz lessons over the summer, I am sacrificing range for tone. I was told over the summer that my corners curved up too much while playing; not sure if that has changed.

Additionally, I started practicing flugelhorn over the break, as I play flugel in both of our current jazz pieces (my range is slightly worse on it, which is apparently normal). I'm not sure if this has affected my trumpet playing.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

2. cfkid

cfkid Pianissimo User

Jul 24, 2013
    As I tell my son, a freshman in HS, you have to practice everyday. One of his honors band directors told him 'Only practice on the days you eat!' Consistency is the key.

Peter McNeill likes this.
  3. trickg

trickg Utimate User

Oct 26, 2003
    Baltimore/DC
    Any advice we were to give you here, outside of the normal stuff regarding regular practice, probably won't do much for you for a number of reasons. For one, we haven't seen you play, and we don't know what you sound like, so there may be things going on with your chops that need to be specifically addressed by a private teacher.

With that said, there has always seemed to be a correlation between a weak or fuzzy sound, and a lack of range, which also usually seems go hand in hand with the player using too much mouthpiece pressure.

Given your age and level of development, I wouldn't worry about it too much. Keep hitting the fundamentals - long tones, articulation, sound, phrasing, flexibilities - and don't worry about the range. I can almost guarantee that if you work on building a strong foundation, the range will come all on its own.

4. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    That is awesome advice!!! I would also suggest longtones and playing softly.