yellow brass vs red/rose brass vs gold brass bells?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by EL_JMAN, Dec 10, 2010.

1. EL_JMAN

EL_JMAN Pianissimo User

Sep 14, 2010
    So Cal (San Diego)
    what's the difference between those type of bells? The sound? Price?:dontknow:

2. Dragon98987

Dragon98987 Pianissimo User

Apr 20, 2010
    I've heard that red brass has a warmer sound than gold or yellow. And from what I've seen custom manufactures charge the same for gold, yellow, and red brass bells.

3. EL_JMAN

EL_JMAN Pianissimo User

Sep 14, 2010
    So Cal (San Diego)
    thnx!

4. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    Price/Sound? Mostly marketing IMO.

5. kctrumpeteer

kctrumpeteer Piano User

Dec 23, 2009
    From what I have seen the gold brass bells typically are more expensive than the yellow brass bells for the same model/mfg of horn. Marketing materials will detail what the sound differences are but reality is that you have to just play different horns and make your own judgment call. Basically find what you like in looks, how it plays, and how it sounds and figure out if the price differences are worth it for what you get. I have also heard that the gold brass can offer a darker / warmer sound than the equivalent with a yellow brass bell. But other threads would contend whether one could really hear the difference between the different brass compositions.

6. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    It means NOTHING. It is only a additional parameter for the artisan to pick when designing the whole horn. Read the sticky thread on how a trumpet works. This is covered in detail there.

7. joe1joey

joe1joey Piano User

Jul 3, 2010
    E.Panhandle WV
    A small point...The difference in metals used in the manufacture of a horn/bell is far beyond a marketing factor. This is not news to anyone, most common case in point the 'copper' belled Conns', Silver/ belled Kings' etc.
    The following is the metallurgic breakdown of various brasses of 'color' used in the manufacture of horns/bells:
    Red brass is comprised of 85% copper and 15% zinc (w/small amount of trace elements varied.)
    Semi(modern)Red Brass... 80% copper, 10% zinc, 5% tin 2-3% lead and trace elements
    Yellow/gold brass... 60 - 70% copper, 30 - 40% zinc, and trace amounts of lead and tin.

Consider the amount of copper varies as much as 50% among the colored alloys...

8. A.N.A. Mendez

A.N.A. Mendez Utimate User

Oct 25, 2005
    Sunny Ca.
    Eh..... Lets just go on looks then....:-)

[​IMG]

:-?

9. Dale Proctor

Dale Proctor Utimate User

Jul 20, 2006
    Heart of Dixie
    OK...;-)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. A.N.A. Mendez

A.N.A. Mendez Utimate User

Oct 25, 2005