yellow brass vs red/rose brass vs gold brass bells?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by EL_JMAN, Dec 10, 2010.

1. hahkeystah

hahkeystah Piano User

Jan 12, 2011
    Charlottesville, VA
    on the larger horns (trombone) you can deffinitely hear a big difference between the metals. not so much with plating, but the bell material itself. perhaps you can't tell a difference because theres less metal in the trumpet as a whole? now with silver, i don't care what horn your talking about, there's a big difference. the military plays "Taps" with a silver trumpet or bugle for a reason.:D

2. Dale Proctor

Dale Proctor Utimate User

Jul 20, 2006
    Heart of Dixie
    I believe some of the Strad field trumpets used at Arlington were gold plated, and others were lacquered brass. No silver ones in the bunch.

[​IMG]

3. hahkeystah

hahkeystah Piano User

Jan 12, 2011
    Charlottesville, VA
    well they're wrong. jk. i always used a silver one because the sound carries better.

and i have to say, taps is the single hardest song to play. especially when you know the person. and that picture is of a cadet. he's deffinitely not military. am i right?

4. Dale Proctor

Jul 20, 2006
    Heart of Dixie
    Do a little research on the subject. That's a picture of the late SGM Pat Mastroleo, a U.S Army bugler at Arlington. He's wearing the Army Band dress uniform.

From the Tapsbugler site:

Sergeant Major Patrick Mastroleo served in the US Army band from 1956-1991. He sounded Taps at the funerals of Presidents Truman, Eisenhower and Johnson. Mastroleo became the principal bugler of the US Army Band in February, 1968 and served in that position until his retirement.

5. hahkeystah

hahkeystah Piano User

Jan 12, 2011
    Charlottesville, VA
    well, can't argue with that, guess i'm wrong. my bands used silver though.

6. Dale Proctor

Jul 20, 2006
    Heart of Dixie
    Yeah, I was getting pretty specific. Obviously, many units in the armed services use valved trumpets for Taps, and I'm sure many if not most are probably silver. Check out Yari's site at www.tapsbugler.com - there's a lot of interesting stuff there.

7. hahkeystah

hahkeystah Piano User

Jan 12, 2011
    Charlottesville, VA
    interesting site. i have to get one of those medals. and probably a patch too to go on my "biker vest"