Yellow gunk on the valves

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by trumpet blower88, Feb 26, 2006.

1. trumpet blower88

trumpet blower88 Mezzo Piano User

Jun 15, 2005
    Flagstaff, AZ
    Lately my valves have been slow and grungy, valve oil hasn't been helping much and I've noticed a few spots of greasy yellow gunk building up on the valves. My teacher suggested this "Wright's Brass Polish" stuff to polish it up and get rid of it, but I can't find it anywhere. Is there any other good stuff I can use to get rid of the gunk, like brasso?

2. Jimi Michiel

Jimi Michiel Forte User

Mar 22, 2005
    Boston
    What kind of valve oil do you use? If you use more than one type of valve oil, your "yellow gunk" could be the result of two different chemical mixtures reacting with each other. Just a thought.
    -Jimi

3. Solar Bell

Solar Bell Moderator Staff Member

May 11, 2005
    Metro Detroit
    You don't eat a lot of pizza do you?

-cw-

4. gzent

gzent Fortissimo User

Nov 5, 2003
    Rochester, MN
    David,

What oil you are using? Not Al Cass, I hope?

Please do not risk ruining your valves with normal "polishers" - take it to a reputable brass repair pro.

If you can't wait, then try soaking them in a glass filled with a MILD, non-corrosive solvent like rubbing alcohol, rinse and air-dry. Swab the cases with an alcohol soaked cotton cloth.

But, if the sticking returns go to a pro.

Greg

5. trumpet blower88

trumpet blower88 Mezzo Piano User

Jun 15, 2005
    Flagstaff, AZ
    I'm using Kanstul Pro-Oil. I have never used any other oil on this horn, maybe I should look into a new oil? I'll try giving it a bath again later tonight and if it dosn't help again I'll take it to the pros and see what they have to say.

6. Tootsall

Tootsall Fortissimo User

Oct 25, 2003
    Yee HAW!
    I've posted a couple of times on this: I had yellow "gunk" or "varnish" building up on my valves on all four of my horns (different makes, different horns, different valves) within a week or two of cleaning them. This went on for a couple of months. I finally read something on a webpage by one of the valve lubricant or cleaning companies to the effect that the parafins in some oils can react with certain persons' body chemistry to form this sludge.

I cleaned the valves thoroughly (several times) and switched to synthetic oils. The problem has NEVER reappeared (over a year ago). I find that I just cannot use Al Cass. Currently using Zaja Blue but have also had success with Clark Viper Oil.

7. Solar Bell

Solar Bell Moderator Staff Member

May 11, 2005
    Metro Detroit
    I also had the problem on my Schilke with Al Cass oil. More like a sludge.
    I switched to ZaJa scented oils and it went away.
    Using Ultra-Pure on my Lawler though.

-cw-