Yet another comeback player...

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by luckyhornman, Mar 30, 2009.

1. luckyhornman

luckyhornman New Friend

Mar 22, 2009
    Where Grass Is Blue
    Picked up the old horn to play in a community orchestra that needed help and found out that I'm the one needing the help. I've been practicing a bit and am now confident enough to upgrade. I contacted a dude on Craigslist who had a Getzen Capri for sale. When I tried it out, it just didn't do it for me. He also had a Holton t401 that was SWEET !!! What a superior sounding horn! I'm now trying to sell some stuff to get the Holton. In the meantime I found a Holton Galaxy that is too cheap not to consider. Would like some feedback, so please help me out!

Why did the Getzen Capri sound and play like I was blowing into a closed barrel? Is the bore small? The Holton t401 is the easiest blowing horn these chops have ever had the pleasure to touch. Is the bore on it much larger? And lastly is the Galaxy near the horn that the t401 is? I can't afford a Strad so that's out...unfortunately!

A lot of questions here and I hope not too many...
    Christian dude here needs your help...
    Peace ,Love and Spread the News!
    Luckyhornman

2. bobd0

bobd0 Piano User

Jan 10, 2009
    Older Holton and Buescher horns were pro level instruments. Buescher pre-1963 and Holton pre-1964 when the big boys bought them out and made them student level horns. That doesn't mean they didn't make OK horns after the buy outs. But they aren't the same level horns they once were.

The Holton t401 is an intermediate horn with a .460 bore. That might be the reason it felt so open. Bottom line, it depends on what you're looking for and the particular horn in question. If you like it and the price is right then go for it.

3. oldlips48

oldlips48 Piano User

Mar 1, 2007
    Hi luckyhornman, welcome to TM.

There's more to how a horn blows than bore size. Both the T401 and the Capri spec out at .460. So many variables in design, assembly, etc.

The few Holtons I've played on have been free-blowing, more so than my Getzen 700. Im keeping an eye out for a good deal on a Holton ST308 MF.

Thought I'd throw in my 2 cents. Much more experienced voices will chime in.

Steve

4. luckyhornman

luckyhornman New Friend

Mar 22, 2009
    Where Grass Is Blue
    Thanks for chiming in oldlips...
    I saw an st307 on fleabay as well as an Admiral mf550...might want to check them out

bobd0, the t401 does not have Leblanc on the tuning valve emblem...would that date it to pre'64? or is the serial number the only way?

I'm mainly going to be playing with a jazz ensemble next to 3 women. They have a Getzen Capri, Strad, and a Yamaha (not sure which model).

Last edited: Mar 30, 2009