Yet Another Mouthpiece Conundrum....minutiae to follow

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by neal085, Apr 8, 2015.

1. neal085

neal085 Mezzo Forte User

Sep 6, 2012
    Ft. Worth, TX
    A while back my wife found a 1927 King Liberty trumpet at an antique store for about $55 or so. It badly needed a friend, but I sent it off to my trumpet guy and he sent it back in great working condition.

Well, I've tinkered around with it, but haven't really played it much until the last week or so, when I decided to start incorporating it as a practice horn every other day, since I alternate between two practice locations every day. The horn plays well - I really like it.

I just plugged in the same mouthpiece that I always use on my regular B&S horn, a Stork Vacchiano 2B. That's the only mouthpiece I ever use at all.

I keep the horns in two locations, and was about to buy a second Stork 2B, so I have one to leave with each horn. I'm currently carrying it back and forth every day and am very likely to forget my mouthpiece one day. As in, highly likely.

I'd also been toying around with trying the Stork in a 2C, (same rim, slightly shallower cup) to see if I like it better, since I don't feel like there's any real reason for me to be playing on the deeper cup, but I like the feel of the mouthpiece - I'm quite used to it and it's comfortable.

So my question(s):

1. Is that small difference in cup size going to jack with my embouchure, especially switching back and forth each day?
    2. Is a switch going to realize different dynamics in the older horn?
    3. If I'm going to try the 2C, should I try it exclusively and drop the 2B all together until I'm used to the smaller cup, then consider which one I want to roll with for both horns?
    4. If none of these conditions apply, please proceed to section 2B. (Sorry, it's tax time).

2. Dale Proctor

Dale Proctor Utimate User

Jul 20, 2006
    Heart of Dixie
    In my opinion, it kind of depends on how experienced a player you are, and how familiar you are with each horn/mouthpiece combo. I switch between different mouthpieces all the time on trumpet and cornet (with a little flugelhorn thrown in) with no trouble. I play a Curry 3C. most of the time on trumpet, but also use his 3B. and 3M. occasionally. On cornet, it's a Curry 3BBC. most of the time, but I sometimes use a Wick 4 and more shallow Bach mouthpieces if they fit the music better. The other night I had a Civil War band rehearsal and pulled out the Lehnert cornet and Stork 4B I use on it, and hit the music full speed. I hadn't touched that horn and mouthpiece since last November.

I think I'd buy the 2C. Who knows, it may work better with one horn or the other, and if all the other specs on the two mouthpieces are equal, switching between the two shouldn't be a big deal. Schedule A is attached.

3. Culbe

Culbe Forte User

Jul 25, 2014
    Normal
    I was in a very similar position about a month ago. I went to my local music shop to find a used mouthpiece, and I found a bach megatone 5c. It was dinged, but also only 20 bucks. I had played on a 7c, but I liked the megatone better, so I matched with my main horn (Getzen 700). The 7c, and my Getzen 390 stay at school most of the time. I don't have a super devolped embouchure, but I don't have a problem switching.

4. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    Short form: If the mouthpiece rim is the same, there is no real difficulty in changing cup depths. Try out both mouthpieces on both horns to find what works best, then use the other to kill big flies.

5. neal085

neal085 Mezzo Forte User

Sep 6, 2012
    Ft. Worth, TX
    Thanks, VB. Stork 2C is on it's way.

I did finally kill that Godzilla fly, by the way. It was premeditated, aggravated assault with a deadly weapon (flyswatter), and murder was never so sweet. I'm going to mount him on my bookshelf as a warning to other monster flies that may want to inhabit my office and taunt me by buzzing in cacophonous fashion inside the light fixtures for days on end.

I really hated that fly. After I ambushed him on my secretary's wall, I danced gleefully throughout the premises, high-fiving customers, posing with the flyswatter, slapping employees on the back of the head and yelling, "Who's yo daddy?!"