yet another practice story

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by leftmid7, Jun 10, 2011.

1. leftmid7

leftmid7 Mezzo Piano User

Sep 21, 2010
    Franklin, TN
    So the facilities manager just came into the office to say someone next door is complaining of someone 'practicing scales over and over for what seems like hours on end.'

It's me in the conference room with a Shhhh mute (the same one I use in hotels that you can't even hear in the next room) at lunch time for 30 min a day.

2. turtlejimmy

turtlejimmy Utimate User

Jun 6, 2010
    Oregon
    Wow, a chronic complainer with radar hearing ...... They're crazy ..... there's no way neighbors could hear you playing with a Shhhhhhhh mute (I have one), from beyond the walls .... it's not any louder than a conversation. If they can hear it at all, it's only a squeak. Your manager should tell them to "BUZZ OFF.":lol:

So, do songs instead of scales?

Turtle

Last edited: Jun 10, 2011
  3. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    If you are at work, you're at their mercy. If it's your place, I'd fire them!!! Trumpets rule!!ROFLROFL

4. turtlejimmy

turtlejimmy Utimate User

Jun 6, 2010
    Oregon
    Try practicing one time without the mute, to give them an idea of the difference.:lol:

Turtle

5. leftmid7

leftmid7 Mezzo Piano User

Sep 21, 2010
    Franklin, TN
    Yeah, I know, Toby. And Jimmy, I like to get as much 'shed' work done as I can so when I get home I can do the fun stuff; improv with backing tracks, playing through charts, etc.,

Chances are with this lady she'd hate songs, too, lol.

6. gbdeamer

gbdeamer Forte User

Oct 16, 2008
    Head out to your car.

Nobody can complain about that.

7. Grant Davis

Grant Davis New Friend

Jun 3, 2011
    Cumberland, MD
    It's a shame that so many people have nothing better to do than to sit around and find things to complain about. Perhaps they are just jealous of your scale playing ability. :play:

8. TrumpetMD

TrumpetMD Fortissimo User

Oct 22, 2008
    Maryland
    That's what I do. I use my pocket trumpet in my car in the garage at work.

However, sometimes I play in the hosptial (where I work) with a practice mute (either Dillon Music's or a Soft Tone). I do this during off-hours when few people are around. But as quiet as these mutes are, people can sometimes hear me in the next room.

I suppose you can try to be diplomatic about it. Let the facilities manager hear you play and decide if it's too loud, or maybe suggest a different room to play in. You could also talk to the person who complained, and try to win him/her over.

9. trickg

trickg Utimate User

Oct 26, 2003
    Baltimore/DC
    I think you should lose the mute and start working on range drills.

10. LEBOUTILLIER

LEBOUTILLIER New Friend

Apr 1, 2011
    Iowa
    when in college I would be interrupting ear training classes from my sound-padded room, across a long hallway, into another sound padded room. the prof would give me the keys to her office and then I would go upstairs to interrupt lessons. I love being a trumpet player!