yet another practice story

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by leftmid7, Jun 10, 2011.

1. Phil986

Phil986 Forte User

Nov 16, 2009
    Near Portland, OR.
    I practice mouthpiece buzzing at my hospital in a bathroom, usually after 1am. On a couple of occasions people opened the door wondering what was going on. That bathroom has the walls and the floor covered with stone tiles, the reverberation is quite impressive. Nobody has complained so far, but I might have pushed an occasional user to another nearby bathroom...

2. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    From a wannabe architect, well I am qualified to read blueprints, very few commercial / industrial buildings, and yes, this includes hospitals, have the slighest nuance of sound-proofing. Then don't try to escape to a car or garage if you don't want my wife to hear you. It ain't funny, but she can be in laying in bed in our bedroom and tell when a faucet is dripping and whether it is the sink in the kitchen, the bath tub, or the lavatory. Now I wouldn't dare ask her if it the cold or hot water. Yes, she hears silent dog whistles blown 2 blocks away but cannot hear lowest notes on a piano. Oh yes, she has heard me play with Yamaha Silent Brass when she is sitting in our living room and I'm in the back bedroom / my office, but she tells me such is not disturbing her TV shows. One thing I've learned in 44 years of marriage, is never try to understand a woman!

3. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia

absolutely!!!

4. leftmid7

leftmid7 Mezzo Piano User

Sep 21, 2010
    Franklin, TN
    HAHAHA.

For most times of year I practice in my van, but here in Nashville we have been having record breaking heat already and it's not even July. Mid 90s with a heat index into the 100s, just can't do that right now.

5. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Not so sure about that. It is more of a public place and less privacy. Also the car gets very hot in the summer, and I worry about heat exposure.

6. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    C'mon, man up!!:lol::lol: It will help you're endurance AND you will lose weight!!

7. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    The garage thing takes care of the heat issues. But TrumpetMD, I would love to hear stories of people coming up to your car and the comments that they made.

8. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Back in the old days when I was in this situation, I got in way earlier than everyone else and practiced in a hallway that had thick security doors. An occasional janitor or two would come by to listen in, but otherwise, no other employees were for the wiser.

9. leftmid7

leftmid7 Mezzo Piano User

Sep 21, 2010
    Franklin, TN
    A lady from the same office(I think) is the one who walked around out of her way to come near my van and see what I was doing last fall.

And Toby, I play soccer and am 155lbs, I can't afford to lose any more weight!

10. TrumpetMD

TrumpetMD Fortissimo User

Oct 22, 2008
    Maryland
    Hi gmonady. I tend to park in the more secluded parts of the garage, so there's less traffic. I've gotten a couple "thumbs-up" on the rare occasion someone walked by and heard me. But that's about it.

Mike