Yet Another Spam Attack

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by TrumpetMD, Feb 16, 2017.

1. TrumpetMD

TrumpetMD Fortissimo User

Oct 22, 2008
    Maryland
    We're in the middle of another spam attack, which practically has become a denial-of-service attack with dozens of meaningless threads created so far.

We seem to get one of these every few weeks, although this one seems to be the worse yet.

TrumpetMaster might benefit from a system that vets new users. I don't know if it's possible, but let me suggest the following.

- Include a captcha to prove the entity creating a new account is a human and not a bot.

- Include a captcha for new users when creating their first few threads.

- An alternative might be to have the moderators approve all new accounts, similar to what many trumpet-related forums on Facebook require.

(This thread might be in the wrong forum. If so, please feel free to move it.)

Mike

2. Peter McNeill

Peter McNeill Utimate User

Jan 30, 2009
    Melbourne Australia
    I like the automated system to grab SPAM.

When you look at the number of members, then the number of active members, and members who have never ever, posted a single post - leave the Mods alone on any requirement here, it will drive them crazy, and probably away from the site.

I don't think we cop too much of it, they get nailed pretty quickly. I get a lot more on my email, than here.

But I agree, it is annoying, but once seen easy to ignore. Pity I cannot understand what the topic is, it appears Korean in most of the stuff that sneaks in.

3. BrassBandMajor

BrassBandMajor Fortissimo User

Jan 13, 2015
    London
    Although your suggestions are good, I don't know if they would be a feature by VBulletin. Since the forum runs on a platform by VBulletin, extra security stages must be byVBulletin. I believe VBulletin has the feature for captcha when creating a new account but not one for the new user is fpcreaing their first thread.

4. trumpetnick

trumpetnick Fortissimo User

Nov 16, 2005
    Antalya, Turkey
    Pete,

What is annoying is when the TM get so floaded by this spam bots, that we don't see the real people posts. It is not a big deal, we can just continue scrolling down till we get therem but sure it is annoying.

5. TrumpetMD

TrumpetMD Fortissimo User

Oct 22, 2008
    Maryland
    Second day in a row, and another spam attack.

Mike

6. LaTrompeta

LaTrompeta Forte User

May 3, 2015
    Colorado Springs
    Well we are using 12 year old software, so what do you expect?

7. mickvanflugel

mickvanflugel Forte User

Jul 1, 2011
    Germany
    This nasty Asian spam is really annoying, I have reported three in three minutes...
    And another 6 in the last 10 minutes...
    After 10 more I have just given up, feeling like Don Quijote...

I still do not see the point why this "user" lwoeudi cannot be banned? Instantly??
    Moderators?

8. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    I like instant things too, but we don't have moderators on watch 24/7, so we catch these when we can.

9. bumblebee

bumblebee Fortissimo User

Jan 21, 2010
    Great Southern Land
    I think TM uses a 5 year old version of VBulletin (4.1.11). And even back in 2004 I'm pretty sure developers thought their "new" software pretty modern. ;-)

I don't know enough about VBulletin, but perhaps there is a configuration setting possible which prevents new users from posting for a day or two after joining? (In addition to other measures mentioned before.)

--bumblebee

10. trumpetnick

trumpetnick Fortissimo User

Nov 16, 2005
    Antalya, Turkey
    I didn't quite get it: is there any kind of spam bot protection upon registration? Captcha or something of the kind.