yoga

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by matthoffner, Feb 2, 2006.

1. matthoffner

matthoffner Pianissimo User

Jul 12, 2005
    minneapolis, mn
    hello,

I'm interested in getting into yoga but have no idea where to start. Are there any trumpet players out there that have done yoga that could recommend a website/video/book? Does any particular style benefit brass playing more than another?

thanks for any help,

Matt

2. Manny Laureano

Manny Laureano Utimate User

Sep 29, 2004
    USA
    Write an e-mail to Dave Monette. He's a teacher of yoga and if you write a brief note, I'm betting he'll write you and advise you. Don't call the shop but write instead.

ML

3. uatrmpt

uatrmpt Piano User

Nov 29, 2003
    AL
    Trumpet Yoga????

:D

4. tptCarl

tptCarl Pianissimo User

Jan 17, 2006
    Cottonwood, Arizona
    Trumpet yoga

Try contacting Rich Illman. He has a CD....Trumpet Yoga

5. matthoffner

matthoffner Pianissimo User

Jul 12, 2005
    minneapolis, mn
    Manny and Carl,

Thanks for the help!

6. Manny Laureano

Sep 29, 2004
    USA
    Also, check with Alex a/k/a Trompetvrouw on this site. She knows a lot about it as well.

ML

7. wiseone2

wiseone2 Artitst in Residence Staff Member

Nov 19, 2003
    Brooklyn,NY
    Jerry Callet wrote that book thirty years ago.
    Wilmer

8. Manny Laureano

Sep 29, 2004
    USA
    I have an autographed copy!!

ML

9. Alex Yates

Alex Yates Forte User

Aug 11, 2005
    Atlanta, GA
    Namaste Matt. Yes, I have been doing Yoga for over ten years now. It is wonderful for your body and your concentration - hence, very beneficial for what we do. It can be a daunting task to jump in without knowing where to start. I would begin VERY simply. There is a book called My Little Yoga Book by Erika Dillman I would begin with just this book. It is very approachable and easy to decipher. It lists poses (asanas) for all kinds of ailments and puts together flows (series of asanas to be done consecutively) for you. Start with just this and see what you think. There are many DVDs out there, but very few are good. Once you look through this book and get a feel for what Yoga is about, I can then recommend other books and a DVD or two. (the Kripalu DVD is one of the best). There are many, many branches of Yoga, but the only way you can chose is to first familiarize yourself with the basics. Some branches are for healing, where you hold asanas for five minutes at a time and concentrate on breath (Iyengar) all the way to high energy, quick flows done in a hot room like a workout (called Ashtanga) to Kundalini Yoga - which is an entire life guide - spirituality, diet, chanting, chakras and asanas. I believe the latter is the branch Dave Monette follows and carries a certification to instruct. (I am hoping to get a yoga lesson when I go out there. There is nothing better than having an instructor check your alignment and correct asana execution.) MOST folks do what is referred to as "Hatha" yoga. Are you dizzy yet? LOL.

So, check out The Little Yoga Book (this book is always on the shelves at most book stores, so you don't have to order it on line. Barnes and Noble or Borders should carry it.) and get yourself a yoga mat. You need one to do most of the poses. (it is for traction so you don't slip). You can pick them up in the athletic section of Target, Walmart or any sports store. Make sure it is the thin, rubber type of mat and not the puffy gym type floor mats.

There are many websites out there, but most of them will only confuse a beginner. The good ones usually charge a membership to get video guidance, etc. (take a look at http://www.yogabasics.com) I would stick with the little book and the mat for the first month or two and see what you think.

I am really anxious to know of your impression after doing just a few of the poses. It is amazing how holding a position and concentrating on filling up the body with breath can stretch all kinds of muscles and tendons you never knew you had. Let me know how you do or if you need to know anything. Good luck!

10. Manny Laureano

Sep 29, 2004
    USA
    Thanks, Alex...

See? What did I tell you? It pays to consult the Oracle of Georgia...

ML