You All Have Had This Happen To You

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by IronClaymor3, Apr 20, 2009.

1. IronClaymor3

IronClaymor3 Banned

Apr 18, 2009
    YOUR MOMS HOUSE
    You're in band, you just warmed up and your chops are feeling great. You play B-Flat Chord Progressions- First, down the octave starting on low C- Then up the octave starting on middle C- Then, up the octave once more on upper C. But once you hit that last chord progression....nicely...people tend to turn around and give you an ugly look. Mostly the clarinet players right in front of me. I'm only in High School and can hit a double C on a Bach 3c mouthpiece. People hate me for it, it's one of the glories of being a trumpeter!

2. RHSbigbluemarchingband

RHSbigbluemarchingband Mezzo Piano User

Jan 17, 2009

Last edited: Aug 16, 2009
  3. Bachstul

Bachstul Mezzo Forte User

Jan 25, 2009
    You'll have to reflect it off the music stand or get a foam cushion to broadcast into. You have to respect all the musicians around you, play it as it is written, PP, or FF and try to understand why the director arranges the trumpets behind most everybody. It is so awkward...draw your chin out, raise your bell up, try to read the dang music w/o the bell getting in the way, move it out of the way, wind up blasting in somebody's ear.....................try to balance the defecit......it's even worse if you wear glasses!

Get used to being "hated", not everybody likes a trumpet. Not everyone loves a guitar. Not everybody loves a clari............matter of fact, I really don't know anybody who loves a clarinet.

But if you want a tip;.Love thy oboe player, for one day they will draw a tear.

Last edited: Apr 20, 2009
  4. s.coomer

s.coomer Forte User

Mar 25, 2005
    Indianapolis, In
    Contrary to popular belief playing louder and higher does not make a great trumpet player. How about blending with the ensemble? Just because it says three F's that does not mean to blast your bell off. Why not try blending with the ensemble and becoming part of that ensembles sound. People might even think you are playing musically.

5. Bachstul

Jan 25, 2009
    Sorry, you play it as written. Forte-isi-isi-mo, is the F's. (And, If I May point out, everyone on this forum identifies where you're getting your context from.) There is a name in the upper right corner of the chart. He/ she told you to blast your bell off. The name is the one who arranged the piece. FOLLOW the instructions of your superior.

To blend...........
    ...........................%###@!
    ..............ugh............

Is a Lamborghini always to flow with the traffic?

Every instrument has their voice. Every instrument has their time. Every instrument is required at times to play PP FF, FFFF, Or not AT ALL.

If the practice was to mellow the trumpet and blend at all times, well, the percussion would not allow a gong so large, either.

You need to see a U.S.Army band, first row balcony. Enjoy.

When you see three F's, "YOU BLAST YOUR BELL OFF" as you said!, Unless your director changed the instruction, in writing, on your chart.

We all have our voice, our limits, our turn, as musicians in the pit. When an arrangement calls for glory, it is your job to deliver!!!!!!!!!!!

Get some recordings of the London Philharmonic and crank it. Enjoy!

Last edited: Apr 21, 2009
  6. Graham

Graham Pianissimo User

Jun 8, 2008
    Melbourne, Australia
    Despite my ego, I tend to do what is musically appropriate at the time. And dynamics are always to be played in the context of the whole group.

PS. If you don't want to lose your lamborghini, you obey the speed limit. Same applies for getting and keeping gigs.

Last edited: Apr 21, 2009
    Schwab likes this.
  7. tedh1951

tedh1951 Utimate User

Oct 18, 2007
    The Wide Brown Land
    fff is only relative to the rest of the piece, and to the other members of the TEAM (band), it is not an absolute, otherwise the score would read 162dB (but it doesn't).

Yes you need to take to the woodwinds and on occasions blow them into the weeds and leave them quivering in disarray on the floor, but never to the detriment of the music, ever. :thumbdown:

8. ButchA

ButchA Pianissimo User

Apr 13, 2009
    Richmond, Virginia
    Speaking of fff, here's an embarrassing story from my H.S. days in the late 70's.... I had braces and no longer played trumpet, so I dropped down to Euphonium. I sat right next to the trombones, and right directly in front of the percussion - mainly the big crash cymbals and gong. Well, one of the percussionists and I didn't quite get along too well in band...you can see where I'm going with this...

Yup... during one of the band practices, he snuck up behind me and went {{CRASH}} with the cymbals right behind my head! :shock: :evil: I went flying forward out of my chair, and dropped the Euphonium, denting the bell. Man, I came up off the floor, and popped him one right in the face, before we got separated. I seem to remember getting detention and almost suspended from school.

But... at least he never did that again, and ironically - to make a long story short, we became friends after that.

9. SpiritDCI08

SpiritDCI08 Piano User

Feb 11, 2009
    Fort Campbell, KY
    I agree with the people about relative dynamics.
    I've noticed that if I listen to the horns and oboe
    I'm fine.
    I was taught that in theory if you're playing fff
    And it's loud as a fellow members fff
    They higher you go the louder you're going to seem to sound
    so I just cut back alittle

It sucks
    but it's only because we're the showoffs in the group
    and I like it that way

10. Bachstul

Jan 25, 2009
    My friend, this is not about ego. This is about following instructions from your superior, the one who arranged the music. Second in command is your boss, the director, or, conductor, or band leader.

If I arrange a work and I chart a phrase two measures long where I want the trumpets and trombones to blast boats out of the water,(ffff) they better do it, or they will be given verbal instruction to play it as written. If you don't follow instructions, you won't be keeping gigs.

Some times the speed limit is ffff for some instruments while others are playing mf, or mp. It's all planned out by the arranger, as to what instruments have the voice during that part of the music. I know how to play mp along while flutes or violins have their fff lead. Here I disagree with you. Dynamics are not always to be played in the context of the whole group!

I've sat beside cellos and violins, and behind piano players, and not once got a dirty look, because they have been around long enough to know what to expect, and what music is sometimes capable of. It is capable of waking up the audience when the arranger feels it's necessary.

For the rest of you who disagree, I guess you don't like to watch a horror movie, for the scene that makes you jump out of your seat.

Also, this is my favorite topic to argue about, so, Bring It On.