You All Have Had This Happen To You

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by IronClaymor3, Apr 20, 2009.

1. Bachstul

Bachstul Mezzo Forte User

Jan 25, 2009
    We are the worker bees. We don't "think". We don't interpret. We follow the instructions on the chart, as they are written.

Gergiev has been conducting for over 25 years, he interprets what is written; but it was already written. As any orchestra is rehearsing, changes may be made. One may assume the arranger,who may very well also be the composer is sitting high in the balcony, listening and jotting changes as well. If I'm ever given verbal instruction in a piece, you bet I pencil it in, so I don't forget. Mostly, I like to make certain everyone else in my section makes note of the change as well, or, I'll expect myself sticking out like a sore thumb at rehearsal next week when we go over it again. I could only then hope Gergiev remembered giving these verbal instructions that only I acknowledged.

Typically,a new chart "after lunch" with the changes incorporated is expected for all at hand.

Last edited: Apr 21, 2009
  2. MTROSTER

MTROSTER Piano User

Jan 25, 2007
    Canada
    Remember your playing as part of an ensemble. Play accordingly. If you stand out too much you appear to be grandstanding. Also, many band and orchestra members now wear fitted earplugs when playing. Hearing problems are an increasing problem amongst musicians.:dontknow:

3. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    I don't know about the groups that some of you play in, but I VERY often have a great say about how the trumpet parts are to be played. That comes from mutual respect and that happens when the conductor does not feel that he/she is only there for target practice. It is amazing how the time spent informing yourself about the big picture and proper preparation really pays off.

I am not in an orchestra to be a slave of the music or conductor, rather a servant of the big picture. There is an incredible amount of leeway when you take the intelligent initiative.

FFFF is a tone color that changes depending on context. You need to know a little about historical playing practice to know what Mahler, Tschaikowsky, Beethoven, Brahms, Stravinsky or Shostakovich really meant. That is often my problem with modern instruments - they can't play those classical dynamics with the respective color of sound. Reducing music to playing by the numbers is not a very clever thing to do. It certainly does not advance the cause of getting people around us to appreciate what we are doing.

4. RHSbigbluemarchingband

RHSbigbluemarchingband Mezzo Piano User

Jan 17, 2009
    okay somehow im getting nagged for the triple forte, three things. first i am the only trumpet who actually plays in rehearsal so i have to play louder in general. Second my full tone and musicality is still there on triple forte. Third, especially during marching, when there is a fff i play a fff regardless of the others. My director told me that if i play the triple forte or pp, normally the rest of the trumpets will follow me, so i go by the page in front of me

5. Bachstul

Jan 25, 2009
    The boy watches fireworks on the Fourth of July- says, "Daddy, fireworks go BOOM!"

The boy grows up, he's a pyrotechnic. He's certified and licensed in 17 states. He does work for Disney, and various rock bands and venues. Every year, on the Fourth Of July, he does the gig over The Bay. So many variables manipulating $600,000 worth of explosives choreographed with the San Fransisco Symphony.

Everything has to cue in just right to "Ode To Joy". He asks the conductor, "Can you give those trumpets five of those "f"s this year? They're gonna need 'em."

Nothing can go wrong as the show co menses. You could just feel the pressure, can't you? This pyro-pro has been stressed since nine hours before show time.

During the show he may have one moment to actually enjoy a look; there, under his breath, he whispers, "Daddy, fireworks go boom."

MARK 10:15

6. willbarber

willbarber Piano User

Nov 22, 2008
    Medina, NY
    I find it's alright, like Rowuk said, to take your section under your wing.
    Usually my section listens to me, and if I tell them to do something, they'll do it. They know I'm more knowledgeable than them on certain matters, and they listen.
    Sometimes you just don't get what the composer meant, and you have to fudge it to something that sounds good to you. Also, you sometimes have to enhance what the composer wrote, based on the size of your section, and the rest of the band. We have 2 firsts, one second, and one third trumpet. I play first chair, and as head of the section I feel it's my duty to interpret the parts for my section, and convey it to the rest of them. Then if the director doesn't like it, he'll say so.
    Usually I'm the only one playing when we sightread anyway, so the rest of my trumpets catch on to what's supposed to happen, and do it right. Besides the tubas, one of which is a senior, I think we're the least corrected section in the ensemble. Maybe I'm just catching brainwaves here.

Now if you can decipher that, have at it. :)

7. Bachstul

Jan 25, 2009
    Honest, Graham, I did misunderstand your point this morning, so, where cool:cool:.
    I thought you were saying the whole orchestra, as one body, all play P or FF simultaneously, never any variables from across the pit at one time.

8. ltg_trumpet

ltg_trumpet Mezzo Piano User

Jan 21, 2009
    very well... i will throw my 2 cents in... iron claymor, please stop wasting space with useless threads like this, you have five posts, and three thread that are equally worthless... accept your comment on the young man playing trumpet with one arm which was true... however, i would ask that you dont post things like this any more... also, i am confused why you would be asking about lead trumpet mouthpieces when apparently you dont need one... i have nothing against you accept what you have put in front of my face... which is a thread about lead mouthpieces, a thread about you being able to annoy people with a double c and thinking you have the right of way, and a thread... pardon me... asking for a free... FREE... bach strad... i didnt even see a post where you introduced yourself...

contrary to popular beliefe we do like meeting the new users of the forum... please introduce yourself, i would love a new first impression...

on the actual topic, our band is playing irish tune by granger, its absolutely georgous... at one point, to my knowledge as the director told us, a couple sections are marke with 4 f's, our director told us that granger didnt take those things lightly, i believe that it is the sound not the quote on quote loudness...
    i a second note... i like to play lound, but when that stupid freshman starts playing obnociously, it drives me NUTS

doesnt mean i dont do it when i get frustrated while im alone... but i like to make music when im around my freinds... the way i see it a double c isnt music... unless maynard is giving us a treat, someone on this forum once told me, and im sorry i dont rember who...

90% of the music industry is below a c... and i believe the rest is an embelishment, quite frankly...

9. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    :noway::noway:ROFLROFL:noway::noway:

This is a trumpet forum so I guess blowing ones own horn should be expected.

We all are entitled to our opinions of what is musical - what just popped into my head was the story about the deaf leading the blind...................

10. RHSbigbluemarchingband

RHSbigbluemarchingband Mezzo Piano User

Jan 17, 2009
    reflecting on this, i am the only freshman in the concert band ( i never tried out for the wind ensemble and the directors nailed me for not doing so). Due to the fact i was a freshman and the director of the concert band didnt know how i played i had to work up the chairs. Now i am the first chair, and i have to carry the three seniors and one sophomore. I dont know how that happened but i cant complain, but yeah i was told to carry the section.

As for the dynamics, i normally dont go full exact on them, i normally follow the emotion of the piece especially in this hymn we are playing instead of the written dynamics unless its a march. Mainly following the whole which way are the long notes going concept. In our hymn the trumpets go up from D below the staff to an A while rit. the written dynamic is to decresendo, i never saw this the sight read and slowly brought emotion and the decresendo in, so in essence it got stronger in tone fullness but quieter, director liked it so it stuck, the rest of the trumpet section follows the freshman as normal.