You All Have Had This Happen To You

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by IronClaymor3, Apr 20, 2009.

1. Bachstul

Bachstul Mezzo Forte User

Jan 25, 2009
    Sir Rowuk, and I call you that with respect. re: the blowing own horn statement....

Don't musicians who play in a:

1.Traditionally loud dominant "GO TEAM" environment, who,

2.Are playing the schools' "Battle Theme" and are there to intimidate the opponent on the field, who,

3. Play outside where the wind is capable of blowing the sound from the Rolling Stones at a live concert right out of the Stadium,

train to play fff for these environments.

I beleive many of us envision our own situations and environments when we post. Shouldn't be so.
    I also feel questions and answers on the forums must benefit those readers who are observing, and their situation is pertained to as well, which is why even myself does not agree with everything I post.

You are the only one who grabbed that worker bees remark I made; your follow up made me happy. It is true I said we don't "think", but waited to reply, "We play with our hearts, not with our "I know better" heads". And I think you posted that for me better than I could ever.

Last edited: Apr 21, 2009
  2. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    The smart ones don't waste their faces - which by the way always have a big grin on them because they let the immature do the bragging. Let the horn be extroverted. The only praise that counts are from people that have heard you.

As far as blowing the competition away, the kiddies with the biggest mouths usually fall apart about 2/3rds into the show due to overblowing. Mind over matter needs bright minds. The most impressive field band is the one that plays cleanly until they leave the field!

3. CHAMP

CHAMP Piano User

Nov 16, 2005
    holy crap i'm dummmer for having read this crappy thread...

4. RHSbigbluemarchingband

RHSbigbluemarchingband Mezzo Piano User

Jan 17, 2009
    you know i have to say regarding that second paragraph, there was one trumpet, sat next to me, could play spectacularly. But two problems first was when fortissimo was on the page he had this blary, blasty tone, making me very willing to kick him. Then second he used to play so loud, just like you said, his chops would die in a 20 minutes time frame. To say the least he didnt continue band. As for the field band comment, unlike other class V bands, we only have ten trumpets meanwhile others have fifteen, twenty, twenty five trumpets. However during championships we beat a marching band, New Milford, that had at least twenty trumpets. However under musicality is where we really beat them. Yes, they have lots of trumpets, who can play incredibly loud. We proved the whole trumpet=loud deal false. The ten of us did play loudly, but more tone and clarity in the musical aspect of the show was our concentration, therefore, we won.

5. Bachstul

Jan 25, 2009
    The "competition",here, that I want to clarify, is the football team from the rival school. Not a battle of the bands competition.

During a football game, they only chirp a little between plays and at half time. Most have those oversized field horns which, technically, are designed for loudness?

6. Bachstul

Jan 25, 2009

Oh, I'm just so now torn into two, taking this from a dude who uses Roger Ram_Jet for an avatar on a Trumpet forum. Like POW, yourself,...,uh,dude, totally or something,eh? Oh yea almost forgot the funny thingROFLthere.

Holy is spelled with a capital H, btw.

7. DarkKnight88

DarkKnight88 Pianissimo User

Mar 12, 2008
    Tallahassee/Bradenton, Fl
    Indeed, tone, articulation and precision as an ensemble should always be your main priority. Playing the correct dynamics should be among that, but, there's always a fine line between playing at a nice strong Fortissimo and just being obnoxious and blaring all over the place. It's all about musicality and musicianship, it's not a contest of "who can play louder?"

Granted, there are times or situations in which extreme dynamics are called for, but, you should be efficient and only play as loud as needed. Whether it be at your conductor's, band director's, or band leader's discretion, or by a direct interpretation of the written dynamics of your part. Whether it be pp of FFF.

Otherwise, (as mentioned by much wiser men than myself) you'll just overwork yourself and wear yourself out.

-Tom.

8. CHAMP

CHAMP Piano User

Nov 16, 2005
    yeah, could kind of say the same type deal for you, how much effort did you put into your artsy fartsy shadow photo avatar...

oh yeah, almost forgot the "this guy clearly doesn't have a clue" thing :dontknow: there...

happy posting...

9. RHSbigbluemarchingband

RHSbigbluemarchingband Mezzo Piano User

Jan 17, 2009
    Actually in response to this my director is so in to tune that even during auditions if your tone sucks you are allowed to stop and fix it. He could care less about the scales, if your tone is clear and full and your articulation is correct your in. Thats why our band is the New Jersey State Champions, yeah we aren't the loudest, but our techicality and visuals gets us our competition wins.

10. tedh1951

tedh1951 Utimate User

Oct 18, 2007
    The Wide Brown Land
    Now that IS funny - it's clearly NOT Roger Ramjet - it's Spiderman's Dad or someone like that ...... isn't it, Mr. Invisible? (Man, I gotta get a spell checker). :roll: