You concentrate on Trumpet habits, huh?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Bachstul, Mar 18, 2009.

1. Bachstul

Bachstul Mezzo Forte User

Jan 25, 2009
    Mostly, we concentrate on developing proper playing habits while we practice our trumpet routines, correct? But are we concentrating on our habits after we have put our horn in the case?

Do you drink beverages from a can? Does your lip scrape along the sharp, pop-opening when you drink? I figure a modest 1,448,320 sips from cans in the last xx years for me, at 18 sips per can. Pending how one drinks, might this habit allowing the upper lip to scrape the sharp edge eventually callouss it? Is one blaming his/her trumpet playing for this without considering otherwise?

Other habits of danger: be careful how you pull that toothpick out of your mouth. I've sliced my lip with one.

My friends wife had a habit to suck the remaining ketchup out of those fast food ketchup packs she tore open to squirt on her fries. She pulled a packet out of her mouth, sucking the ketchup out, and cut her lip on the torn open edge so bad, she went to the E.R. for a stitch or two.

And what about that mouse, huh? watch that computer mouse, It'll wear on ya, too; meta flange carpel tunnel syndrome. You use that hand to smoke your valves, right?

Any more habits to beware of that you might suggest? Don't bring up smoking, that flame war is already on another chat sight:evil:

2. Wlfgng

Wlfgng Piano User

Aug 15, 2008
    Canada
    In my youger days I was always very careful with my horn while playing until I put it away in the case. I would treat that case like crap, bounce of doors, throw it in the trunk etc. EVen with your horn in its case, you still have be carefull what you do with the case.

3. veery715

veery715 Utimate User

Mar 6, 2007
    Ithaca NY
    A couple of things:

When listening: Do you set yourself up so you can really focus on listening? If you remove other distractions, so that you can really pay attention (headphones are very good for this), you will get much more out of it. In addition, this kind of focusing can be like meditation, and be restful and refreshing.

When engaged in other tasks which require concentration, sometime I will discover that I am "chewing" my lips, as we may do sometimes with a pencil. Cracking knuckles, leaning on your desk with your hands flat - such that you hyper-extend the tendons and muscles on the palm side of your wrist, and activities like tennis, basketball, motorcycle riding (twist-grip throttle), opening tight jar lids, etc., all have the potential to cause injury which may interfere with playing.

Kissing, on the other hand, is good for your lips, but be careful not to get lip-hickeys.
    veery

4. Sofus

Sofus Forte User

Jul 26, 2008
    No wonder the pros play so well!

They don´t have to do all these other,
    dangerous things that keep us regular
    guys from becoming pros . . . :-(

5. Bob Grier

Bob Grier Forte User

May 4, 2007
    Greensboro, NC
    never kiss a cactus. when you pass out, fall on your back

6. s.coomer

s.coomer Forte User

Mar 25, 2005
    Indianapolis, In
    When you fall with the horn in your hand keep your hand in the air. Don't fall face first.

7. Bachstul

Bachstul Mezzo Forte User

Jan 25, 2009
    Actually, I have kissed a cactus. I was laying down though. Didn't have to worry about falling that way.:-P

8. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    The worst habit is to become dependent on circumstance to do a good job. IF we NEED a long warm up to play well, IF our hardware causes concern, IF, IF, IF.

Great players have long learned to ignore many of the "concerns" that the lesser player gets hung up on! Most of the time we would be better off just inserting the mouthpiece and playing instead of getting involved in some ritual that only serves to make us MORE dependent on circumstance.

Dr. Laura said something on the radio this week that really stuck (it went something like this): "We only need to be afraid of things that we do not understand. When we understand something we merely need to DEAL WITH IT!"

9. tedh1951

tedh1951 Utimate User

Oct 18, 2007
    The Wide Brown Land
    I was having a little trouble with this - it's mostly in the head I think - so I sat down with the section, and then the band director, and we worked out a 'set' that compensated for any perceived lack of warm-up opportunity. We hit the first (short) piece with gusto to set the scene and then dropped into a couple of "easy on the lips" lyrical pieces. Eveyone seems quite happy, and the programme is enjoyable. There is always a solution - if we choose to communicate - THAT is the hard bit.

10. J-Walk

J-Walk New Friend

Mar 21, 2009
    I find that good sleep habits help my playing. Lack of sleep always makes playing the next day tougher for me...