You guys are gonna cry...

Discussion in 'Vintage Trumpets / Cornets' started by bigaggietrumpet, Oct 10, 2004.

1. bigaggietrumpet

bigaggietrumpet Mezzo Forte User

Jan 23, 2004
    Nazareth, PA
    Ok, my dad's a comebacker. He's been playing on my Olds Ambassador cornet, but really wanted to get back to the trumpet. So he recently got an Olds Ambassador made from around 1968 off of eBay. He chose that particular age because he played one in high school.

Anywho, he got the horn Friday, and man what a piece! Don't get me wrong, it's really not that bad, but it's much worse than we thought. He let me play it on Friday after he picked me up to go back to the house, and when I buzzed, all I got was this weird pitched buzzing noise. I look at the horn and notice something is missing-the spit valve on the tuning slide! I plug my finger over it, and sure enough it helps. But there's still some problems. It sounds amazingly stuffy. So I go through my head, and check the third valve alignment. Sure enough, THAT wasn't right. So with all that fixed, I now had the horn playing normally.

But here's the part that makes one weep. We noticed that the finger ring was twisted to the side, the mouthpipe to bell brace was broken, and the other 3 were bent. Then we looked at one of the mouthpieces that came with the horn. It had something that strangely the marks left by a heavy tool. And then the sick realization hit. The mouthpiece had been stuck in the horn. What does this idiot do? He takes a FRAPPING PIPE WRENCH and twists on the leadpipe!! Needless to say, we weren't impressed.

So now Dad has to get all that fixed. He wasn't happy. And he tried to convince me to leave my Studio at home. Tried, but failed :lol:

2. Gilligan

Gilligan Pianissimo User

Aug 3, 2004
    Colorado Springs, USA
    With all that damage you might be better off parting that old horn out and finding another. Olds made a ton of them and there are always 2 to 5 on eBay at any given time.

3. bigaggietrumpet

bigaggietrumpet Mezzo Forte User

Jan 23, 2004
    Nazareth, PA
    Actually, to update the situation, Dad got some springs and water keys, and said the horn is now playing really well. Basically, he's always wanted to get into horn repair, so he thinks he can fix the leadpipe himself. So it's kinda turned into a surprise success story.