You never think it'll happen to you...

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by BigSwingFace, Jun 10, 2014.

1. VetPsychWars

VetPsychWars Fortissimo User

Nov 8, 2006
    Greenfield WI
    I guess this is a good example of why you never leave your horn sitting on a chair.

Tom

2. J. Jericho

J. Jericho Fortissimo User

Mar 16, 2011
    That's right. I leave my horn on a stand so it can get kicked or stepped on instead.

tobylou8 likes this.
  3. dvs cycles

dvs cycles Pianissimo User

Nov 29, 2011
    SoCal
    But I bet no one will try and sit on it.:-)

4. VetPsychWars

VetPsychWars Fortissimo User

Nov 8, 2006
    Greenfield WI
    Jokes aside, when I am on break in the community band, I carry my horn with me to the bubbler. If I were to go farther afield, I'd put it in the case.

Tom

5. WyldeBill66

WyldeBill66 Pianissimo User

Dec 13, 2008
    Salinas,CA
    When I was in high school. We were all taking a brak during filed practice. We practiced on an asphalt parking lot that had the lines painted on it. Me and a few other people had our horns sitting on the tailgate of one of the members mini-trucks. The owner of the truck was fooling around with one of the other members who was chasing him. He jumps in his truck and burns out. Launching my horn onto the asphalt. I was a foot away from grabbing it when he punched it. It dropped and bounced on the ground, bending the bell. Of course being a senior and me a freshman, no apologies were forthcoming of course... So I had a dented horn for the next year or so until I quit band due to the director leaving and no new one on the horizon. I do remember being very pissed that that fool got away woth doing what he did, and the director at the time saying it was my fault for leaving it there. Although the owner of the truck knew there were horns there. I just happened to be the one who was just a few too many steps away to retrieve it before he took off.

6. Gxman

Gxman Piano User

Jan 21, 2010
    I don't know how possible to sit on a trumpet. It is always in the case or on a stand. I mean... how does one even sit without looking at the chair hes gonna sit on first? I always look where I'm gonna sit.

Very strange, and sucks at the same time for you.

Monette Prana mouthpiece falling out of the trumpet on concrete? It could have happened to me with my Classic B2S3, felt like lifting the trumpet up to get some excess stuff out of it, didn't think I had to remove the mouthpiece (felt lazy) same time, I wouldn't leave things to chance, so remove, turn it upside down, re-insert once done.

Another damn that hurts though.

Dunno, can never be too careful. Always look where your gonna sit, and always remove the mouthpiece when turning horn upside down and that should prevent the financial hurt.

7. BigSwingFace

BigSwingFace Pianissimo User

Apr 30, 2013
    Frederick, MD
    Liquor was a factor.

8. A.N.A. Mendez

A.N.A. Mendez Utimate User

Oct 25, 2005
    Sunny Ca.
    I hate it when my horn falls off the wagon........[​IMG]

9. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    The young boy arrived at my house with his trumpet slung by a belt cross shoulder to a loop thru the bow of the bell. He could hold it up to play without removal of the belt, and when not in use it sling at his side. Point: it never fell to the ground, he never stepped on it, he never sat on it ... none of these calamities could happen. The only problem was that from the git-go, his trumpet was inferior to his capabilities.

10. edfitzvb

edfitzvb Forte User

Jun 10, 2008
    Woodlawn, VA
    If I wore a trumpet on a sling it would bump into 50 things a day. Odds are better on a chair or stand.