You never think it'll happen to you...

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by BigSwingFace, Jun 10, 2014.

1. NFS_87

NFS_87 Pianissimo User

Jan 25, 2011
    Cleveland, Ohio
    I recall attempting to straighten the bell of my marching band trumpet in high school after someone had knocked it out of my hands, and looking at it after my attempt the bell wasn't any straighter, but it had started to take a turn just after the brace. Still have no idea what I did to twist it while trying to fix it.

2. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    All I can say is if so, you'd first have significant bruises on your arm and perhaps thereafter be unable to play your trumpet just due to such arm injury. I've carried a lot beneath my left arm and in my left hand without being so unstable that I bump into anything with them.

3. graysono

graysono Mezzo Forte User

Jan 22, 2007
    Hyde Park, Utah
    "Jokes aside, when I am on break in the community band, I carry my horn with me to the bubbler. If I were to go farther afield, I'd put it in the case."

Those are the two recommended places. What's funny is that most of us don't listen well.

4. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    FYI "Pitt American" is a house brand stencil marketed by Volkweins Music in Pittsburgh PA. My own silver plated one "disappeared" while I was overseas in USAF. I had bought in pre-owned from a customer on my paper route and used it from 6th grade (1947) through my junior year (1952) in high school when I bought a new Martin (???) from Volkweins, that also "disappeared" at the same time. From the scenario of my acquisition, the widow's husband showing me pictures of him playing it in many "speak-easys" during Prohibition 1920-1933, I'd say you "ball parked" the era of your Pitt-American about right. Sadly, Volkweins has not retained sales records that old.

5. jimmyblue

jimmyblue New Friend

May 26, 2014
    [fubar]

6. jaemard

jaemard Mezzo Piano User

Jul 2, 2012
    San Rafael, CA
    I find my Torpedobag works great as a "stand": I can put it in the case very quickly and not worry if I'm gone for a while.

7. A.N.A. Mendez

A.N.A. Mendez Utimate User

Oct 25, 2005
    Sunny Ca.
    Does it still play "flat" ? :-)