You Tube - High Note Trumpet National Anthem

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by MJ, Jan 7, 2009.

1. The Weez

The Weez Piano User

Dec 23, 2008
    Wichita, KS
    I think he meant double C. Because I have high C and I'm still fairly novice at this point (comeback player), and I definitely am not "set for life". :D

2. The Dutch Guy

The Dutch Guy Piano User

Sep 22, 2008
    Netherlands
    high C is the first C above the staff, and I'm pretty sure he meant that one, because you won't find a double C in a normal piece, nor will you find an A or B for that matter. (in normal pieces, that is. I'm sure there are people that make extreme pieces just for the high notes)

3. Bear

Bear Forte User

Apr 30, 2004
    USA
    I beg to differ... in my line of work there are constantly Dubba a/b and DHC's. Granted, on average if you have a solid high g (g above high c[two ledger lines above staff]) then you are set for most applications on the classical side of things. Even in some of m y church work I've seen DHC's printed... although in paraenthesis.

4. Richard Oliver

Richard Oliver Forte User

Jul 18, 2006
    Casper, WY
    Robin, our MD who's a great trumpeter, told us an anecdote told to him by a friend back east with whome he played a fair amount of studio/movie etc work.

His friend, speaking of the some of young talented players hoping to break into the studio business, said something like "they can all play high, but they can't read very well."

Misplaced values are vexatious.

5. gbdeamer

gbdeamer Forte User

Oct 16, 2008
    "I beg to differ... in my line of work there are constantly Dubba a/b and DHC's"

Wow, what kind of work do you do? Studio stuff? Soundtracks?

I'm not the best travelled guy in the world, but I've never seen Double A's, B'a, and C's printed in any of the legit work I've played.

6. Bear

Bear Forte User

Apr 30, 2004
    USA
    No, studio/commercial stuff is my dream job. Hopefully I'll get there soon as I'm about to graduate. But I'm not there yet. A lot of the gigs I do around town (hand written originals) are written in that register. Some of the stuff we play at school has 'em in there. It's all jazz though. On the legit side (orch, wind ensemble, brass band, etc) I see an occasional high f/g (4 ledger lines).

7. Pedal C

Pedal C Mezzo Forte User

Jan 24, 2005
    All chops and no brain doesn't make a very good trumpet player, but the upper register is a required skill if you want to play professionally. It's not the only skill you need, and it's not usually the most used (depending on what you play), but it's a part of the complete player. Yes, most music is below High C, but if 5% IS above C and you can't play it, you can't play the gig. Just like you can't play play the gig if you can't read, transpose, play in tune, phrase, etc...

8. gbdeamer

gbdeamer Forte User

Oct 16, 2008
    "On the legit side (orch, wind ensemble, brass band, etc) I see an occasional high f/g (4 ledger lines)."

Jeeze, I'm glad I don't live near you. When I start seeing f's and g's on my legit gigs I may need to switch to baritone!

9. bagmangood

bagmangood Forte User

All I have to say is,
    that video was pretty epic. Way too many people have too much time on their hands. Some of which should have been used practicing...
    However, whoever made that video probably had way too much fun doing that...

10. andy-rockstar

andy-rockstar Pianissimo User

Jan 6, 2009
    Anchorage, AK
    I was actually talking about just good ol' high C (not double high C). Range was always a little slow to develop for me, likely because of my equipment at the time. I've always thought of high C as the top of the mountain, even though I know jazz folks reguarly play higher than that.

I thought someone told me one time that Doc Severinsen couldn't play above a high C. Perhaps I have no clue what I'm talking about. . . :-(