Young child beginner

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by jcheze, Sep 22, 2011.

1. craigph

craigph Piano User

Mar 12, 2010
    Japan
    Not to take this off-topic but I don't agree with that. I am a linguist and have lately been reading the literature on dual first language bilingualism. I don't agree that children learn one language (used by the minority) and pick up others around them passively, and I don't think that is the consensus of others in the field these days. If children are exposed to two languages they will learn both as a first language. Depending on different factors - amount of exposure, the perceived status of a language, even the child's personality - one language may be stronger, but the other is not being learned passively. Both are aquired actively as a first language. There is one interesting study I read a while back about a family where the father was English and the mother German and they had 3 boys. The father (a researcher) noted that although the three understood both languages one of them had a preference for German, one for English and the third boy no strong preference (would speak whichever languages was used last). His conclusion was that part of this was due to age differences and part to personality, although they all had the same exposure to both languages.

My wife is Japanese. We have a 20 month old and another on the way (due in January). We plan to raise the kids to be equally bilingual (or even trilingual - I was recently offered a job in Quebec!). I believe the best method in such a family is to make a distinction between the use of the two languages. Often this means 'one parent, one language'. I had a friend from Montreal like that - his father always spoke to him in English and his mother in French. For us, we have tried to make a distinction between 'inside the home' and 'outside the home'. Inside we speak English, outside Japanese. Why? Well my son gets loads of exposure outside the home (from his grandmother, swimming class etc) but other than me there are few other English speakers in his life.

2. craigph

craigph Piano User

Mar 12, 2010
    Japan
    Oh yeah, this is TRUMPETmaster. Sorry for not addressing the OPs topic. My 3 brothers and I grew up in a musical family. My parents had all of us start learning piano from 5 and then a band instrument a couple years later. I can't remember if I was 6 or 7 when I started, but things went OK for me. I had short lessons (15 min) and practice time at the start and was taught at a very leisurely pace for the first few years. Linguists talk about the 'critical period' for language learning. I have always wondered if there is a critical period for learning to play music such that people who start to learn at a very young age have their brains re-wired for a musician.

3. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    Craigph, the stuff I learned about raising bilingual kids was almost 20 years ago. They understood perfectly the Disney films in English my relatives would send. Yet when I spoke to my kids in English while in Germany and they would consistently answer in the Swabian dialect of German, except on vacations in America--then they would speak English with Swabian grammar after a couple of weeks.

My point was to be that at a young age children can learn a language passively, but playing the trumpet is a pretty darned physical activity; that there is a musical language yet also some basic physical requirements that need be met.

As for bi-lingual learning: Bilingual erziehen - mehrsprachige Erziehung

4. Gary Schutza

Gary Schutza Pianissimo User

Apr 6, 2007
    Kansas City