Young Man With a Horn--tonight on TCM at 10

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by johnny ray, Apr 6, 2012.

1. johnny ray

johnny ray Pianissimo User

May 17, 2010
    For those of you who haven't seen it yet, Young Man With A Horn is on TCM tonight at 10. Check it out.

JR

2. TrumpetMD

TrumpetMD Fortissimo User

Oct 22, 2008
    Maryland
    I have the DVD. It's not a bad film.

I recently watched A Man Called Adam. Similar story, except that is stars Sammy Davis Jr.

Mike

3. BrotherBACH

BrotherBACH Piano User

Oct 5, 2010
    Got the sound track; it is fantabulous!!!

BrotherBACH

4. Vega Power

Vega Power Piano User

Dec 9, 2011
    Florida
    Johnny Ray... thanks for the heads up! I'm enjoying it right now.

-Blair

5. Dale Proctor

Dale Proctor Utimate User

Jul 20, 2006
    Heart of Dixie
    So, what trumpet was Kirk "playing"? A Besson, or maybe a Benge?

6. BigDub

BigDub Fortissimo User

Dec 19, 2009
    Hillsborough, NJ
    My guess- he's not "PLAYING" either!
    I do enjoy watching people FAKE it in movies and TV. It never is convincing whatsoever. Includes: piano, guitar, sax.....for that matter, any instrument.
    Not knocking the choice of movie, nor am I sure he's not really playing! Just my experience in general.

7. Pete

Pete Piano User

Nov 17, 2007
    Massachusetts
    The commentary after the movie stated that Mr. Douglas would practice on the set often to get a good feel for portraying a trumpet player. The rest of the cast would complain about him practicing!

Pete

8. A.N.A. Mendez

A.N.A. Mendez Utimate User

Oct 25, 2005
    Sunny Ca.
    It's great to hear Harry, such singing tone..... Sigh
    I always wondered how that poor horn faired in that lightweight gig bag he toted everywhere.... :-?

9. richtom

richtom Forte User

Dec 7, 2003
    It is - as mentioned - the one and only Harry James doing the playing. There is no way on this earth Kirk Douglas could ever play like that. And I can certainly imagine the cast complaining about his practicing. It must have been, well, not so good. Richard Gere can actually play the trumpet (cornet) and did so in Cotton Club.
    Hard to tell if it is a Chicago Benge or a Besson. For just a second or so, I thought I saw a bit more engraving on the bell than a Benge of that era would normally have meaning it would be a Besson. Still, what I spotted could have been the famous staff on a Benge bell.
    I wonder if that horn (Or horns. Maybe there was a stunt double) is still in existence somewhere and whoever may have it doesn't know what it was used for and by whom?
    RT

10. richtom

richtom Forte User

Dec 7, 2003