young on the trumpet...

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by trumpet 101, Nov 1, 2009.

1. trumpet 101

trumpet 101 Pianissimo User

Jan 8, 2009
    Arkansas
    hello all,

ive been playing trumpet for three and half years, so im "young" at the trumpet. heres the question: do any of you more experienced players have any tips for the trumpet? things to watch out for and things to do?

thanks,
    Blake

2. ewetho

ewetho Piano User

Jun 24, 2007
    Kankakee, IL
    If you can, find a great private instructor to go over those things with you directly. He/She will be able to correct what you are doing specifically and guide you through your practicing to get the most out of that too.

I am a comeback guy and I can not tell you how valuable that is in the long run. I have been getting mine since March. The progress this year is amazing to me.

3. missmybaby

missmybaby Pianissimo User

Sep 27, 2009
    Detroit Metro
    Yup, a good teacher will work wonders. Make sure you get a good one.
    I had to reset my embouchure when I got a solid teacher, mine was pretty messed up and the first teacher didn't take the time (or have the knowledge) to set me straight, so I struggled. Once that was worked out, I was good to go and had a lot more fun playing.
    Basic advice I think most, if not all here, would agree with is to avoid "resetting" the mouthpiece as you play. Set it and forget it. But get a good teacher to tell you that.
    =)

4. ComeBackKid

ComeBackKid Fortissimo User

May 11, 2009
    Yorba Linda, CA
    Read all posts on this site. Then re-read them. It's all here (somewhere).

5. walldaja

walldaja Pianissimo User

Feb 25, 2008
    Kokomo, IN
    there is no substitute for regular practice, get a good digital recorder and listen to how you sould too plus all the other folks said

6. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    the best tip is to get used to good old fashioned hard work. All of the players looking for a short cut are wasting their time and valuable space on the internet!

Success is measured in months and years. Never forget that.

7. Markie

Markie Forte User

Jan 4, 2009
    Clarksburg, WV
    Make music and Have Fun!! Pick out a CD and try to play along with it or set in with some friends and play.

8. trumpet 101

trumpet 101 Pianissimo User

Jan 8, 2009
    Arkansas
    thanks for all the tips!