Young Student Motivation

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by cfkid, May 8, 2014.

1. cfkid

cfkid Pianissimo User

Jul 24, 2013
    I need some advice from those that have worked with young students. My son, 12, is a very good player. He was first chair in the NKY Select Band this year and played the Andante section of Barat's Andante et Scherzo at the solo and ensemble competition this year. His range is to a high C. Honestly, I think has the potential to be a monster when he gets into high school.

The problem is I can get him motivated to practice seriously. He wants to be really good, but doesn't seem to want to put in the time. He's heard me improve significantly since starting my comeback. He's got a very good, supportive private teacher that not only is a great player but also has fun with him.

He just keeps saying that playing the Clarke, Irons, Strassburg, etc. is boring. We've tried to give him some more fun stuff two work on (like the Barat piece and some stuff from the Collin Rhythms book).

I wonder if anyone has any suggestions to get him to want to do the work to improve? I know he has to want it, but I don't know how to get him to that level. Actually, with is age, I wonder if I can or if it's just going to be up to him and I have to let that happen. Thoughts?

Mark

2. mgcoleman

mgcoleman Mezzo Forte User

Jun 22, 2010
    Iowa
    I also had to deal with 2 children who could be quite unmotivated about practicing at times (well...quite often, sometimes). I took every chance to expose them to as much live music as possible. The idea was to keep them inspired and see beyond their age peers in school. To a certain degree, it did seem to help.

3. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    Mark, we all need to break through the boredom at some point or another, and the intermediate level is the hardest to teach. Just say "Waaaah" to him when he complains.

4. jiarby

jiarby Fortissimo User

May 7, 2011
    Arizona
    Pray that he develops an interest in Science or Engineering!

5. cfkid

cfkid Pianissimo User

Jul 24, 2013
    Don't worry, he'll be a computer geek or an engineer like his dad. But I would like him to be able to play whatever he wants, do side gigs, etc. when he gets to that point. In other words, I think he'll have a day job.

6. Sidekick

Sidekick Mezzo Piano User

Apr 14, 2011
    London UK
    It's difficult around that age, no matter what you are into.

I like the idea of getting him to see as much live music as possible. If you could get him along to see a truely great player, it might be what he needs to motivate him further. After all everyone needs some one to inspire them (in addition to their Dad, of course).

7. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    IMO it is a fact, that overdone repetition of etudes is boring. Too, the availability of song music exclusive for trumpet solo is extremely limited, and what usually is , is of the classic genre that is a turn-off to youth.

Today composers produce for stage where the profit lay (sometimes), not band solos for practice by youth as we all know would be penny-anty for publishers.

8. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    First: Buy him a pair of shoes so he can hear his feet tapping (you are from Kentucky right?)
    Second: Get him our of Clark and Arbans for some time. Have him play tunes, perhaps out of a hymnal.
    Third: Get him involved in a band... church... rock... (yeah at age 12)
    Fourth: Find an instrumentalist role model for him and buy those albums. Then transpose the horn lines from these albums and he can play along with them (if this is done in the home, he does not have wear shoes then either!! a win, win-Dixie situation!)

9. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    This is the same technique I use when I want to get a response out of Vulgano Brother.

10. cfkid

cfkid Pianissimo User

Jul 24, 2013
    I have tried this and it does work to a degree. We go see the big band in which his private teacher plays quite often. I took him to the UD Brass Day with Auturo Sandoval and his concert later that night (which certainly did inspire him as well as me). Heck, he's even been to see the great Gary Onady at the Blue Wisp. He loves to year great music. It just doesn't seem to translate to practice.

I guess you are correct that it is hard with anything. Honestly, I think the iPod Touch and YouTube has been the death of a lot of his initiative.