Young Student Motivation

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by cfkid, May 8, 2014.

1. cfkid

cfkid Pianissimo User

Jul 24, 2013
    Man, you're on a roll with the shoes. Plus, the kid only has about 4 teeth, since they've had to pull most of his to get the permanent teeth to start coming in. (Go ahead, I put that one on a tee for you. Now you just have to hit it out of the park.)

I actually have tried the transcription route. The kid can play most of the solo from Gospel John. Not in the original range, but still. I'll see what I can do further on that front. I also like the idea of a band. Maybe I can get him going to the charity big band I play with. Probably a little over his head, but it would be a good challenge.

2. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    At least he isn't wasting his time on Trumpetmaster! Motivation is internal and there is little a teacher can do about that. I told my students to do homework until it sucked, then trumpet until that sucked and back to homework...

3. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    My take is that there are times when playing A LOT is much more important than playing (less) etudes and exercizes. There are plenty of books with movie themes and the like and there is NOTHING wrong with taking summer vacation off from exercizes and spending MORE time on fun stuff. If you can talk to the high school teacher and get some 1st trumpet parts for the summer, you will be doing everyone a favor!!!!!! trumpet playing is 99% mental. Care and feed that aspect!

4. cfkid

cfkid Pianissimo User

Jul 24, 2013
    Thanks Rowuk. Good suggestions. Unfortunately, his band director is a woodwind player. While she sees his potential, I don't think she really recognizes how bored he is with most of the music. I'm hoping that he can get a first part for marching band, as last year most of his 3rd part was whole notes.

I have an idea too. Maybe I reward him with something if he works up a hard piece. Maybe a nice Super Recording if he can play Brandenberg by the end of the summer. So, who's willing to donate the horn? (Cough, cough, Gary, cough cough)

5. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Sounds to me like someone needs to schedule a follow-up appointment with their pulmonologist. It's not so much the cough that has me worried, but rather the hypoxia that has resulted in delusional thinking.

6. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    But seriously: Donate. No. Loan. I could be coerced into arranging that.

That Super Recording (and my Committee) were the favorites of many at the recent Cincinnati Trumpet Hang. Cincinnatians do have good taste you know. However, certain Brits that spend their late Spring in Arizona, not so much!

7. RicardoStalwart

RicardoStalwart Pianissimo User

Aug 20, 2012
    Maryland
    There's nothing like creating something for yourself. Let him experiment by trying to create a simple tune, it may ignite a creative fire inside of him, I know he's young and all, but Im sure he's capable-you could help him out as well.Exercises are boring at times because their exercises, there almost like chores to kids. This time of playing practicing does not utilize the creative parts of the brain; at a point it just becomes procedural memory. Don't get me wrong this is how to improve trumpet technique/sight reading, but that's not what makes the trumpet/playing music fun. Playing with others, creating music, putting your own style/spin on a popular tune that you like.

8. Dr.Mark

Dr.Mark Mezzo Forte User

Apr 5, 2011
    Hi cfkid,
    You asked:
    "The problem is I can get him motivated to practice seriously."
    -----
    Most of the time the problem of an erratic practice routine for a child is due to the parent not adhereing to or establishing a schedule, not the child. A routine is established by doing the same thing, around the same time each day, every day. Unfortunately, your child has not had a routine established for him. You, (not the child) must develop a time that's devoted to practice. For me, my Mom established a time to practice which was right after school. Why did this work for me? All my friends were outside playing and I had to practice. The longer I himhauled around, the longer it took for me to get outside. In time (short time) I learned that my Mom was not going to give up on the schedule and the quicker I got it done the sooner I could go out and play. To improve on what your child already does, there are documents via this site that you can print out for free. Why these documents? Playing the trumpet is a lot more than just playing notes. It requires a firm foundation in the basics. Many of the people that ask questions on this site are a victim of poor or no guidance duing the formative years. The documents are:
    The Basics Sheet. With this document, you can monitor your child as he plays and when you see him executing a bad habit or poor mechanics, you can corret him.
    The Circle of Breath. This is a vital document which describes how we should be using our air.
    Ray of Power. This document suggests how we establish the power needed to play.
    ---
    Now for the fun stuff!!
    All musicians that are any good use/have used play alongs. Some of the play alongs I recommend are:
    *Schott Classical Trumpet. It contains pieces like Queen of the Night by Mozart
    *Jamey Abersold Play Alongs. Nothin But The Blues and Maiden Voyage are good starters but beware, some of Jamey's play alongs will be way over your child's head so find simple easy to play versions first. The two mentioned are good simple versions that can be found on Ebay used. If you purchase from Ebay, be sure the book contains the CD.
    *Hal Leonard. Disney Series. You can get Fantasia 2000, Frozen, and a bunch of others. Just make sure they are for Bb Trumpet.
    Hope this helps.
    Dr.Mark

9. cfkid

cfkid Pianissimo User

Jul 24, 2013
    Mark, you are absolutely correct. My wife and I haven't been that good at setting a schedule. Part of that is my concern that if I push him to hard he'll hate playing. But I guess 4 days a week it's really pushing him too hard. He really does love to play and I don't want ruin him.

As for fun stuff, he's got a ton of stuff he can do for fun. Again, the problem is the word 'can.' So far, he chooses not to do it because he chooses not to practice. But as you said, that part is my job.

Thanks everyone for the advice.

Mark

10. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    Positively, it is only persistent due diligence with practice that is the pathway to proficiency. Even now at soon to be 78 yo this month I try to do 2 hours of actual lip time on a regimen of alternating 30 minutes actual lip time with 15 minutes rest. In my rest time, I'm usually just listening to a playback of what I just played or studying what I'm about to play.

For the young students I occasionally tutor, the regimen I set is alternating 20 minutes lip time and 20 minutes rest until they've completed one hour of lip time. The actual time lapse of this session is 1 hour and 40 minutes. I expect this a minimum of 4 days a week in home practice as well and it must be affirmed by completion of my report form with the parent's signature or I'll decline to continue tutoring them as they are wasting their parent's money and I'm not a baby sitter.

Too, may I ask how old this child is? Is there a conflict with sports?