Your 2016 Trumpet New Year Goal(s)?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Tjnaples, Jan 1, 2016.

1. Tjnaples

Tjnaples Piano User

Aug 30, 2013
    Hawaii
    Happy New Year fellow trumpet friends! May 2016 be the best year on your horn yet!

Here's my goal...to dramatically improve my upper register. In order to do so I need to focus on how I practice and not be obsessed with the result. Adam Rapa is my teacher and we've come up with a good regimen for me. Here is how my practice time will be divided: Play (33%), listen to recording of what I just played (33%), and reflect on my technique physically, spiritually, and mentally (33%). It won't be about quantity of time but quality. Yes that adds up to 99%, please know that extra 1% is always spent acknowledging the fact I play a freakin' Monette!

That at is my focus and goal, how about you? :lol:

2. Jposquig22

Jposquig22 New Friend

Dec 23, 2015
    My goal is to figure out my equipment that I want to use, and improving all aspects of playing. Areas I want to focus on are tone, range, and endurance. I'm a trumpet player in the Purdue Jazz Band, and I'm a soloist. As a utility player, I also play on lead here and there.

My current mouthpieces I play on are a Schilke 12B4, and a Bobby Shew #2. I played on a 3C for 6 years, and it has a beautiful sound. My endurance was horrible, and could play up to a high D. Ever since switching to the 12B4, I've increased my range to a high F (above high C). As far as endurance, I can play up there for a couple minutes. I really like the 12B4, as it gives me a full rich sound, perfect for soloing. Compared to the Bobby Shew, it feels much wider, but it's around the same diameter. I feel like my endurance on the Shew #2 is considerably better than the 12B4 (even though it has a sharper rim).

What are some good exercises to improve endurance?
    Improve tone?

< I also need to focus on how I practice, and forget about the result >

As my mother told me, "A watched pot never boils."

I've never practiced really, and I've made it really far off passion and love for the language. I'm blessed to have the gift to play the instrument, I just want to take it to the next level. Any help would be awesome. Also, I believe in tone quality over range. If I can't play a Double G musically, I don't want to play it at all!

3. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    My goals have been the same essentially all of my life: Set short, medium and long term goals/take notes/implement rewards for achievement.

This year is anxiety issue year for the long term (this is more of practicing what I preach), medium term is to get my rotary C trumpet built (my own valve cluster design). And short term is always the next performance. In this case Cornetto and real natural trumpet(no holes).

I have bought a lathe and have started some mouthpiece research focused on sound and intonation of tough instruments.

4. Tjnaples

Tjnaples Piano User

Aug 30, 2013
    Hawaii
    As the great Mel Brooks once said, may the Schwartz be with you!

5. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    I did have a couple of lessons with Jerry......

6. Comeback

Comeback Forte User

Jun 22, 2011
    Fort Wayne, IN
    My goals as an older hobbyist are:

1. Relax and enjoy music-making;
    2. Stay healthy enough to play (a nasty respiratory illness during late summer 2015 really knocked me off my trumpeting game);
    3. Resist obsessing over gear and goals

Jim

7. gunshowtickets

gunshowtickets Forte User

Mar 11, 2015
    Tidewater, VA
    My goal:
    Don't suck as much as the last time I played.

Going off last thread for 2015 goals, did DocGM ever get his Harrelson?

8. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    Today in January 1, 2016 and the only resolution I've made is to be able to count one day more in my life with my wife and my brass musical instruments.

9. Chrisb

Chrisb Pianissimo User

Feb 24, 2015
    Ontario, Canada
    Closing in on two years into my comeback, my goals for the year are to make my high C an "anytime" note, so that I can play it at the end of the night as well as at the beginning, and to always continue to try to play musically. And to have fun - always have fun.

10. Adrianbyrne

Adrianbyrne Pianissimo User

Aug 18, 2010
    Oakville, Ontario
    My goal is to memorize all 12 major scales and improve my jazz playing. Happy New year to all on TM.