Your brass instructor

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by PINCHUNO, Dec 27, 2010.

1. PINCHUNO

PINCHUNO Piano User

Apr 4, 2005
    Tenerife
    Hi there.

I don't post very often, but I do enjoy reading the forums here very much.
    Unfortunately this post doesn't have any musical merit whatsoever, but I do feel that the members of this forum should be informed of the aforementioned "your brass instructor" otherwise known as "trumpet sizzle" or Kurt Thompson's recent antics on a personal blog he created just to post some very dubious and somewhat disturbing out lashes at the musical world in particular. The links below speak for themselves. They're worth looking at to know what kind of thing has been going on.

$1000 DOLLAR CHALLENGE FOR Scott Englebright, Wayne Bergeron, Lin Biviano or any ex-lead player from MF BAND except…. TRUMPET FORUM SOUP!

TRUMPET HERALD, TRUMPET MASTER…COMING SOON, BUT TRUMPET FORUM SOUP!

Real Trumpet Players vs. Real Big Mouths! TRUMPET FORUM SOUP!

2. trickg

trickg Utimate User

Oct 26, 2003
    Baltimore/DC
    Wow. Interesting links. Not sure what to think yet - I guess I need to do a bit more research on Mr. Kurt Thompson.

Why exactly is Eric Miyashiro ineligible?

3. abtrumpet

abtrumpet Pianissimo User

Nov 14, 2009
    First of all, that guy seems like a conceited jerk. And, I really wouldn't know, but if someone succeeded, I don't think they would actually be making that much money. After paying for the venue, paying for the band (unless you find people free...meh), and you don't get to keep any profits from tickets. And why is he so strict about the recording? Is he selling it?

4. Markie

Markie Forte User

Jan 4, 2009
    Clarksburg, WV
    Intresting

Last edited: Dec 29, 2010
  5. Brekelefuw

Brekelefuw Fortissimo User

Mar 21, 2006
    Toronto
    Wow, this guy is a total loser. If you were good enough to play in Maynard's band, then you are good. Why does he need to try to assert himself over everyone else. I have never even heard of this guy, but I sure as hell have heard of Scott Englebright and Wayne and Lin Biviano.

6. ltg_trumpet

ltg_trumpet Mezzo Piano User

Jan 21, 2009
    you know, if I lived in the area and actually had enough skill to play maynards charts as high as he did, then I would, unfortunately, I am in good ole indiana and I enjoy playing where it's not a weapon. Sure, he may seem like a loser, but he has a grand on a gig. Dont matter what he is. ha... he just really likes to talk himself up. not an ounce of humility towards anything. I dont have much respect for people like that.

7. trickg

trickg Utimate User

Oct 26, 2003
    Baltimore/DC
    It would seem, based on the vids of him available online, that his claim to fame as a player is his range and his ability to cover Maynard charts, and to that end, he does a pretty fine job IMO. However, any time you have someone that does something like that, the best they can hope for is to be merely an imitation of the real thing. An example of this is Arnel Pineda, the guy who sings lead for the band "Journey." So he rolls in and sings the old Journey songs, doing an arguably good job imitating Perry's inflection, but at the end of the day the best he can hope to be is an imitation of the real thing - there is only one Steve Perry.

And there was only one Maynard Ferguson. None of the guys mentioned in the challenge are trying to "be" Maynard - only trying to pay tribute to the man they know they will never be. As great as they may eventually become, Maynard was one of a kind, and they know that.

8. Markie

Markie Forte User

Jan 4, 2009
    Clarksburg, WV
    ^^^^^
    well said.

Last edited: Dec 29, 2010
  9. abtrumpet

abtrumpet Pianissimo User

Nov 14, 2009
    YouTube - yourbrassinstructor's Channel

Ha, nice comparison & well said.

10. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    Now we have Maynard impersonators and Elvis impersonators! Maybe the world is coming to an end!

Last edited: Dec 28, 2010