Your brass instructor

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by PINCHUNO, Dec 27, 2010.

1. Darten

Darten Mezzo Piano User

Dec 21, 2009
    New York City

The most honest statement made on this forum today.

2. PINCHUNO

PINCHUNO Piano User

Apr 4, 2005
    Tenerife
  3. Markie

Markie Forte User

Jan 4, 2009
    Clarksburg, WV
    intresting

Last edited: Dec 29, 2010
  4. abtrumpet

abtrumpet Pianissimo User

Nov 14, 2009
    He is the perfect stereotype of a trumpet player. I wonder how bad he must have been while he was in high school >.>

5. Markie

Markie Forte User

Jan 4, 2009
    Clarksburg, WV
    ------------------------------
    Let me take a look at this guy's underbelly for a second:

From "EVERYTHING" I've read from Mr. Kurt Thompson, it appears that one or two things are going on.
    1)He's simply selling a product and he shocks people with hurtful language and threats to draw attention to the products he's trying to sell.
    2) He's an unfortunate victim of rage & bitterness.
    ----
    OK.
    Now it's time to LOOK and LISTEN to examples and ask.
    Do I hear:
    Musicality that I wish to copy? Lyrical sensibility? Beauty? Tenderness?
    or
    Anything that would bring an audience to tears?
    ---
    I think anyone that's not sensory deprived would agree that there's a profound difference between sounding like a angry tea kettle on the trumpet and evoking higher level emotions such as joy, happiness and hope on the trumpet.
    Without a doubt, Maynard is the epitome of statospheric playing.
    But more than that, when he played, the one emotion that came pouring out of his horn was "Sincere Joy!!", period.
    I've only found one other person that exuded as much sincere joy as Maynard and that was Louis.
    It was the sincere joy that Maynard was able to convey that made the audiences cry, and those joyful emotions just happen to be expressed through high notes.
    Do I hear sincere joy oozing out of Mr. Kurt Thompson's trumpet when he plays or do I hear a angry little tea kettle screaming at me?
    If Mr. Kurt Thompson's sound evokes an angry, aggitated emotion, is this something I wish to learn and eventually convey to the audience?

Last edited: Dec 31, 2010
  6. PINCHUNO

PINCHUNO Piano User

Apr 4, 2005
    Tenerife
    If you follow up on this guys postings on Maynardferguson.com (from where he was banned) and reall the crap he has on his blog, you will see that something just does not click with this guy.

7. fraserhutch

fraserhutch Mezzo Piano User

Jan 23, 2004
    Novato, CA, USA
    All I will say is that Kurt can play the parts, and I have played with him.

Pretty easy to sit behind anonymous names and crap all over someone else. Say what you will, he's no coward. While am not a Kurt Thompson apologist, but I would never post the crap you have here.

Last edited: Dec 28, 2010
  8. veery715

veery715 Utimate User

Mar 6, 2007
    Ithaca NY
    This thread just encourages clicking into his site - for what benefit to him we don't know - but surely he benefits.

Like feeding trolls, we shouldn't. Don't know what his diagnosis is but he's got one, I promise. No, I am not belittling mental illness - it is real and no joke. But we are not helping him with attention. Better to ignore.

9. Markie

Markie Forte User

Jan 4, 2009
    Clarksburg, WV
    ----
    Nuff said.

10. likesRawCopper

likesRawCopper Pianissimo User

Nov 24, 2010
    Georgia, United States
    This guys does not do "Spirit of St. Frederick" the way Maynard did it - not even close. There was no improvisation that I could hear in the last 65 seconds or so. If Maynard complemented this Kurt guy, it's because Maynard was being gracious. I met Maynard twice - once on his tour bus, because that's the kind of man he was, Gracious! Kurt needs to get over himself.