Your brass instructor

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by PINCHUNO, Dec 27, 2010.

1. PINCHUNO

PINCHUNO Piano User

Apr 4, 2005
    Tenerife

You might want to see the tons of pure shite he has posted on his own blog about some of the best trumpet players in the world. This guy needs no help in buryiung himself deeper and deeper. What a knucklehead.

2. trickg

trickg Utimate User

Oct 26, 2003
    Baltimore/DC
    Was this directed at me? I've never hid behind an anonymous screen name - it's right there in my signature - Patrick Gleason - and I have a link to the website for the wedding band I play with in my profile. I've never claimed to be a fantastic player - just a middle-of-the-road working Joe who gigs about 30-40 dates a year on an amateur level with a usable range to about an Eb above high C. But aside from that I never felt that I crapped all over Kurt - only to say that yes, he covers Maynards parts ok, but that there was only one Maynard and that if this is all Kurt does, he'll never be anything more than an imitator. Maynard Ferguson was NEVER an imitator - he was the one and only real McCoy.

I think this vid pretty much says it - sorry for the poor quality, but it's the audio that I'm most interested in.

YouTube - Maynard Ferguson Maria

3. fraserhutch

fraserhutch Mezzo Piano User

Jan 23, 2004
    Novato, CA, USA
    What he does and how he behaves is no excuse for the crap posted here.

I doubt you'd find the real pros slagging others they don't know like this. It goes to show you something.

As I said, I don't know anything about how he behaves online, however, it seems to me some of you have stooped to his level.

And no, Patrick, my comments weren't specifically directed at you.

Last edited: Dec 28, 2010
  4. trickg

trickg Utimate User

Oct 26, 2003
    Baltimore/DC
    Fair enough - I thought they might be since it was part of my post you quoted when you said it.

5. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    Maybe I don't get the OPs intent/motivation for posting this info. Seems like he fans the flames, lets us argue then pours more gas on the fire. So the guys a jerk. Certainly not the first or last we will ever meet. He has a foul mouth. Agreed. He does seem to be able to play. Am I missing something?:huh:

6. trickg

trickg Utimate User

Oct 26, 2003
    Baltimore/DC
    I think it's just an arrogant trumpet player thing. The guy certainly has no lack of self-confidence where his playing is concerned, and frankly, if I had those kinds of chops I'd probably have a healthy amount of confidence myself. The issue always seems to come when someone else see it as someone proclaiming they are better than they are because typically the guys who really are solid don't have to talk about because the horn does the talking.

I'm still trying to figure out the $1000 challenge. I guess I just don't get the point unless someone criticized his performance of Maynard music and he's laying out the challenge in order to try to save or regain face. I have good nights on the horn and bad nights on the horn. I don't brag about the good nights because Karma usually rolls that right around into a couple of bad nights, which I don't make excuses for.

7. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    That's the only thing I could figure also. I just didn't know if there was more of a backstory.

8. PINCHUNO

PINCHUNO Piano User

Apr 4, 2005
    Tenerife
  9. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    Is there a backstory to this we need to know? It appears to be a personal thing between you two. So he's a loud, foulmouthed player that looks to have decent chops. He's not the first nor the last we'll see (especially with the web). Is he a danger to the trumpet playing community? What gives?:think:

10. PINCHUNO

PINCHUNO Piano User

Apr 4, 2005
    Tenerife
    Not sure wether that last post was for me, but no, there's nothing personal concerned. The guy doesn't know me and I sure as hell don't want to know him. If you actually took the time to read all the bs on his blog and the outrageous comments and "challenges" and derrogatory comments and video he has posted on some of the best players in THE WORLD, you'd be pretty pissed off with him too. He lives in cuckooville and thinks that all there is to play in the world musically are MF tunes. I'm a huge MF fan and all that he has done since he started his ill fated band is heap ridicule on MF's memory and spirit.
    He is anything but a humble person and his musicianship is based wholely on double c jock antics. He seems bitter and almost threatened by the greater players.
    Has anybody actually read this?

$1000 DOLLAR CHALLENGE FOR Scott Englebright, Wayne Bergeron, Lin Biviano or any ex-lead player from MF BAND except…. TRUMPET FORUM SOUP!

That's why scooter posted this great reply

$10 CHALLENGE FOR KURT THOMPSON WITH POSSIBLE ONE MILLION DOLLAR BONUS in Maynard Ferguson and General Music Forum

I just can't be doing with this kind of moronic behaviour and if other people can just let it slip, then they have more patience than me.