Your Coolest Playing Experience

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by AZ_Brad, Jan 25, 2007.

1. Jimi Michiel

Jimi Michiel Forte User

Mar 22, 2005
    Boston
    The one that comes to mind for me is playing at the (now former) House of Blues in Cambridge with the Rebirth Brass Band. They did two nights and after talking to a couple of the guys for a while after the first night, they invited me and a friend back to jam on the second night. We played the last tune and the encore. I was 18 at the time and it was one of the coolest musical experiences I could ever hope to have.

-Jimi

2. beartrumpet74

beartrumpet74 Pianissimo User

Jan 17, 2006
    Well I've changed my mind after reading some of the serious gigs described here.
    I guess my favorite for musical reasons would be playing with John La Barbera's big band for his CD release in Louisville. Greg Wing played split lead with my boy Lorenzo from LA. I had the good and terrifying fortune of playing the parts played by the great Clay Jenkins on John's records. So here I am a young guy playing feature solos on my professors and mentors tunes with Joe Labarbera on Drums ( he used to be Bill evans drummer) and Bill Cunliffe on Piano and Organ. Pat La Barbera played lead Tenor on the date and played most of the heads to these songs with me... His last gig was with Elvin Jones...
    I've never been so scared in my life! It came off well and the heavies said nice things about my playing... It was my most memorable gig just hearing these amazing people make music the way I intend to when I am better developed as a player. It was so inspiring and they were the nicest people. To be chosen to play those parts by John when there are a lot of great players in this area was an honor, and one I will never forget!
    matt

3. Eclipsehornplayer

Eclipsehornplayer Forte User

Sep 14, 2005
    Metro Detroit
  4. Dave Mickley

Dave Mickley Forte User

Nov 11, 2005
    Indianapolis
    back in 96 went with a group of 12 to Nice, France to play the week of Carnival, at least one parade a day and other performances in between. Played in a big band one New Years Eve that opened for a top name and were told to leave after we were done, wouldn't let us hang around to listen unless we bought a ticket. I left, the ticket cost more then I was payed to play. Dave

5. ALLCHOPS

ALLCHOPS Piano User

Nov 14, 2003
    Saratoga Springs, N.Y.
    Is this R. Bernard????

I did play a Reunion 2 years ago up in Puttin Bay...

Nothing has changed. I didn't write any charts w/Larry, we just did a lot of Quervo!!!

Tony G

6. ptynan

ptynan Pianissimo User

Sep 13, 2005
    Antigonish, NS
    This past Monday Night I played a one nighter with Adam Nussbaum (one of my musical heroes). It was one of the best times on the band stand I have had in a bit. ;-)

7. ptynan

ptynan Pianissimo User

Sep 13, 2005
    Antigonish, NS

Was that with the Humber College band? I heard that show was happening!

8. GordonH

GordonH Mezzo Forte User

May 15, 2005
    Scotland
    I was once asked to play the Bach Christmas Oratorio with an orchestra and choir of people from a residential community for people with learning difficulties. Most of them had some for of Autism.
    I was only one of two non resident players. The second trumpet was played note perfect by an teenage girl on a Bb student trumpet who had quite severe autism and also sight problems. Apparently she had spent all year since last Christmas learning it.

That is my number one playing experience.

9. NYTC

NYTC Forte User

Nov 1, 2004
    Brooklyn,NY
    Recording a CD with Tony Gambaro,Nick Drozdoff,Adrian Kelly,Russ Johnson,and Garret Savluk.
    The best experience of my life.

10. tpter1

tpter1 Forte User

Jan 12, 2005
    Northern New York
    Playing a gig with Joe Burgstaller just after he finished with Hickman. (He was literally right out of school). John Schorge also played. Other members of the group included members of the Meridian Arts ensemble. In fact, they were hiring Joe on at that gig. It was for a choral conducting workshop with Gregg Smith and his chorale. Margaret Hillis led the Haydn Lord Nelson Mass (I was 3rd), and we also did some Gabrielli and an original by Gregg. That was one heck of a gig for me. I learned ALOT...more than can be said.