Your Coolest Playing Experience

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by AZ_Brad, Jan 25, 2007.

1. Nordic Trumpet

Nordic Trumpet Pianissimo User

Feb 8, 2006
    Norway
    Mine was during the Winter Olympics 1994 in Lillehammer. You remember the Tanya Harding/Nancy Kerrigan thing? I was a few feet away from Tanya when her shoe laces came undone and she skated back to her coach. :cool:

Anyway I was in the norwegian Kings Guard playing fanfares for the winners and also playing during the opening and closing ceremonies. The opening ceremony was something I will never forget. You should've seen the fireworks up close! :-)

2. bas

bas Pianissimo User

Jun 2, 2005
    Iowa City, IA/Corfu, GR
    No....but he took my spot when I split. Ahhh....Cuervo....no training wheels.
    BOBs had a kick-ass softball team too!

3. djm6701

djm6701 Pianissimo User

I sat next to Arnie Chycoski twice in a section and can remember clearly him nailing everything to the wall.

4. wilcox96

wilcox96 Mezzo Piano User

Oct 31, 2005
    charlotte nc
    bas/allchops...

Blues Other...was one of the best road bands (or band period) I ever heard. Tony, I've told you that before..but it was worth mentioning. Sure was a bunch of fun to hear/watch. (I was on the same circuit back in those days..)

I am still thinking of "coolest" experience..... trying to remain in the spirit of what the thread is about ...and you all have done a great job in your posts.

Almost impossible to single out one...plus, I still keep having them!!!

Larger crowds are just energizing to play in front of. Done so many of them. Not that these are necessarily some of the largest crowds I've witnessed, but some venues that stand out are Chastain Park in Atlanta (an outdoor amphitheatre where the audience sits at tables and brings candles - gorgeous from the performers point of view.... Wolftrap outside of DC (also outdoor, but with an incredible wooden stage structure)...Louisville's Palace Theatre was just gorgeous....numerous amphitheatres around the country... all are fun...and great stand out moments for me.

Musically, there are also just many. Any time someone in my family (extended or otherwise) can come see something I'm in is a treat for me. They get a truer sense of why I do it...spend the hours practicing...and hopefully get joy out of the experience also.

From school experiences like some of you have mentioned....beyond..

Okay...thinking of a single moment...and if I had to blurt one out... a moment in a show with Bill Conti conducting. Big tpt chord at the end of a medley...then the rest of the orchestra comes back in... powerful....

...and then there's standing in the horn section, watching a lone Levi Stubbs in the spot light...starting to sing "I believe in you and me....."....

and then... and then... and then...

5. stchasking

stchasking Forte User

Jun 11, 2006
    The first time I played the Christmas Messiah. The regular church player couldn't make rehersals so I got the call. I had all my music transposed for A pic for first and C trumpet for second parts. The rehersals were primarily parents and their children. On performance day the members of the St. Louis Philharmonic showed up. I played down the entire gig without a miss. I let the the regular guy play first on the easy ones but I claimed the Halleluia Chorus and Glory to God on A pic. The regular player found out a Bb was not the way to go on this gig.

I also played Pictures at an Exhibition with this group. I cheated and used the Bb pic on the high parts and the low parts on the soprano Bb. The conductor gave me a "curtain call" immediately when we finished. They audience was watching me switch horns throughout the piece. It cracks me up just thinking about it.

Jim

6. Solar Bell

Solar Bell Moderator Staff Member

May 11, 2005
    Metro Detroit
    The coolest one recently was last New Years Eve.

Our regular 2nd player, Bill Hart could not make the gig.

Our 3rd trumpet player is a VERY capable woman who is married to Mike Williams, the lead player in the Basie band.
    We have become good friends since they got together.

Last year the Basie band was not playing New Year's Eve so I asked Mike if he wanted to play with us that night. He said sure.

He then informed me that he would play Bill's jazz book and I should play lead.

Now how cool is that?

I am playing my regular lead book, and one of the world's premier lead players is playing the jazz book!

And he never "capped" me all night. A class player and a class guy!

[​IMG]

-cw-

Last edited: Jan 26, 2007
  7. masterfulmusic29

masterfulmusic29 New Friend

Dec 15, 2006
    My 4th semester of college the 1st chair trumpet player couldn't play the solo in Summon the Heros by John Williams. So the conductor asked if anyone else wanted to try it before he had the band pass it back in. I tried it and as a result we ended up doing it on the concert. I nailed it to. And since the 1st chair guy was always giving me troubles that got him off my back until this day.
    James

8. Richard Oliver

Richard Oliver Forte User

Jul 18, 2006
    Casper, WY
    Way cool Chuck! You look like a very happy man in that photo.

All the Best,

Richard Oliver

9. bandman

bandman Forte User

Oct 16, 2004
    Lafayette, LA, USA
    As a kid I played the national anthem solo in front of about 46,000 people at a Redskin game In about 1975-76 in old DC/RFK Stadium. About 15 years later I did the exact same thing at a Saints game in front of about 70,000 in the Superdome and found out later that about 20 seconds of it was shown on national television.

I've played for 3 presidents, the most recent being Bush a month after he was elected. I also played for the Pope when he came to New Orleans.

The gig I was the proudest of was a charity show where we raised thousands of dollars for the building of a new Catholic School in my small community here in Louisiana. We will be doing a follow up to that same show in April where we hope to raise $25K. I don't have that kind of money to donate, so helping by playing my horn makes me feel really good. Last year I had several solo pieces on the show, this year it looks like I'll be doing 3 solos and then playing back up on one or two more. It's

10. bandman

bandman Forte User

Oct 16, 2004
    Lafayette, LA, USA
    As a kid I played the national anthem solo in front of about 46,000 people at a Redskin game In about 1975-76 in old DC/RFK Stadium. About 15 years later I did the exact same thing at a Saints game in front of about 70,000 in the Superdome and found out later that about 20 seconds of it was shown on national television.

I've played for 3 presidents, the most recent being Bush a month after he was elected. I also played for the Pope when he came to New Orleans in 1987.

The gig I was the proudest of was a charity show where we raised thousands of dollars for the building of a new Catholic School in my small community here in Louisiana. We will be doing a follow up to that same show in April where we hope to raise $25K. I don't have that kind of money to donate, so helping by playing my horn makes me feel really good. Last year I had several solo pieces on the show, this year it looks like I'll be doing 3 solos and then playing back up on one or two more. It's a small town -- no pressure -- lots of friends there -- and it's for a good cause!!!

Last edited: Jan 27, 2007