Your Favorite Bird Composition

Discussion in 'Jazz / Commercial' started by trumpet, Jan 3, 2004.

1. trumpet

trumpet New Friend

Dec 30, 2003
    Maryland
    What is your favorite Bird Composition, mine would have to be Donna Lee

2. Larry Smithee

Larry Smithee New Friend

Dec 2, 2003
    Tennessee
    I don’t actually know which tune of Bird’s I could pick as a favorite. I’ve never heard one I didn’t like. They are consistently inventive and always filled with harmonic integrity. It’s hard for me to understand why the earlier swing players found his music to be so far out.
    Larry

3. JackD

JackD Mezzo Forte User

Nov 30, 2003
    Manchester / London
    I think Miles Davis wrote that tune - he wrote this in his autobiography: "I wrote a tune for the album called 'Donna Lee,' which was the first tune of mine that was ever recorded. But when the record came out it listed Bird as the composer. It wasn't Bird's fault, though. The record company just made a mistake and I didn't lose no money or nothing."

My favourite Bird tune would probably be "Yardbird Suite".

4. Larry Smithee

Larry Smithee New Friend

Dec 2, 2003
    Tennessee
    Despite the Miles biography citation, Donna Lee is a Parker composition.
    Larry

5. JackD

JackD Mezzo Forte User

Nov 30, 2003
    Manchester / London
    Are you sure? If so - I'd be interested to know where you heard that. Miles did make up a lot of stuff.

6. trumpet

trumpet New Friend

Dec 30, 2003
    Maryland
    miles davis

That is interesting, Donna Lee reminds me more of Bird's energy than Mile's Coolness. Well, if I can't pick Donna Lee, then Anthropology.

7. Larry Smithee

Larry Smithee New Friend

Dec 2, 2003
    Tennessee
    Look guys. Donna Lee is not only a Bird tune but it's a FAMOUS Bird Tune. But it you want a diffinitive source as proof try the Aebersold play-along called "All Bird". And, of course, there it is clearly attributed to Charlie Parker.
    Larry

8. JackD

JackD Mezzo Forte User

Nov 30, 2003
    Manchester / London
    Check out this page: http://www.basssick.com/xtra/rote.html

I think we've stumbled across a contentious issue.

Gil Evans seemed to think it was a Davis tune, as he asked his permission to use it for a big band arrangement for the Claude Thornhill Orchestra.

I'm currently reading "So What", a Miles biography by John Szwed (I recommend it, it's very interesting) and he writes something about this:

Szwed also raises this intersting point: