Your Favorite Mouthpiece Is?

Discussion in 'Mouthpieces / Mutes / Other' started by mrfabulous963, Dec 4, 2005.

1. mrfabulous963

mrfabulous963 Piano User

Nov 26, 2005
    3 questions.

1) What Mouthpieces do you own?
    2) What Mouthpiece is your FAVORITE
    3) Why do you like it?/What sets it apart for your others?

2. Weedyweidenthal

Weedyweidenthal Pianissimo User

Sep 25, 2005
    i own lots of mouthpieces but i only play a bach 1b a bach 1 1-2c and a jet tone ss. the ss is the most fun to play because of the way i can scream on it... but i have better tone on my bachs... the jet tone is only for lead playing in jazz and marching band.

3. mrfabulous963

mrfabulous963 Piano User

Nov 26, 2005
    I own the following:
    Bach 7C
    Bach 3C
    Getzen 5C Goldplated
    Kelly 7C
    Kelly 3C
    Marcinkiewicz Signature Series J.W.M Edition (Bach 3E Equivalent)
    Marcinkiewicz Concert Hall C5 (Bach 3C Equivalent)

My favorite is:
    actuall I have two, both my Marcinkiewicz mp's. I had them cutom goldplated rim and inner cup, very comfortable

Why i Like Them:
    Amazing Pieces, Great Tone, Amazing Looks(Especially with my Goldplate customization) and VERY Comfortable

4. bandman

bandman Forte User

Oct 16, 2004
    Lafayette, LA, USA
    I have owned less mouthpieces over the years than most trumpet players. My favorites are:

Denis Wick 3CW used on my Bb and C
    Reeves 42MCS for my Piccolo

I also play a Bach 5FL on my flugel which worked great on my old horn, but is either not working as well on my new flugel or it's time for a change.

It's interesting to see people change mouthpieces. I think I've been playing on my Wick 3CW and Bach 5FL since about 1985. Last month I made the move to the Reeves after years of playing on a Bach 10½ which just wasn't working for me any more. I bought the Reeves kind of as a whim after seeing it on Ebay and checking it out on the Reeves website -- it was a lucky find! It is a fantastic piece for me.

5. Jarrett

Jarrett Piano User

Nov 11, 2003
    Richland, MO
    I have a buncha 3c's and 7c's and 2 Bob Reeves MPC's a Chuck Findley model and a 42SV69
    I only play on a 3c and sometimes the Chuck Findley for a brighter tone.
    -J

6. NickD

NickD Forte User

This is a big question!

Ok, this is a partial list of my current collection. I have owned hundreds over the years and dumped many.

Laskey 81D
    Laskey 84C
    Laskey 40S*
    Laskey 80S*
    Laskey 40C
    Bach 1.25 rim on Schilke 3E underpart with 117 backbore
    Schilke 6A4a
    Schilke 3CHc
    Schilke 7CH on a custom underpart
    Warburton 4XD
    Warburton 5M
    Schilke 3Ch rim on a Bach 3C underpart
    Jet Tone Al Hirt model
    Jet Tone MF
    Zottola 64D
    Skyrocket custom (Bud Brisbois knock-off)
    Stage 1 by NYTC
    John Lynch Asymmetric Lead model
    John Lynch Asymmetric 3C model
    John Lynch Asymmetric Opera model

Oh, yeah ... These are just trumpet mouthpieces. I have many for cornet, flugelhorn, bass trumpet, etc.

My favorites are the Asymmetric series (I do endorse them, so, this is to be expected) and Felix Vayser's Stage 1 model. That having beeen said, EACH of these is a good mouthpiece, and I can make them all play resaonbly well to some degree. It is a matter of personal fit, in the end.

As to why I like the asymmetrics... 1.) Endurance; I find I can just flat out play longer without backing off with these. 2.) They seem to fit ME well - structure of teeth, offsets to embouchure, etc. 3.) Flexibility; they allow me to fit into various environments (classical, jazz, rock, big bands, etc).

FWIIW coming from me!

D/&out

7. alanbach

alanbach Pianissimo User

Dec 10, 2003
    South Wales U.K.
    Yamaha 16C4GP for trumpet.
    Denis Wick 2F for flugel
    Denis Wick 2 or 4 (not B) for cornet

8. Martin Williams

Martin Williams Mezzo Piano User

Apr 29, 2005
    Columbus, Oh-hi-uh
    My favorite mouthpiece is my Lawton 8*BB for bari sax I have :evil:

wait you mean for trumpet not sax dont you? lol

I dont have any really fancy pieces, but I like the Yamaha 11B4 I use

9. Tootsall

Tootsall Fortissimo User

Oct 25, 2003
    Yee HAW!
    GR66*** for trumpet
    Sparks 4 for cornet
    Jupiter 7 for flugel (I'd get a GR but I'm saving that for when I upgrade the flugel)

10. Tom_MacNiven

Tom_MacNiven Pianissimo User

Dec 13, 2003
    Glasgow, Scotland, UK
    I have a shoe box full of old mouthpieces, Bachs, Warburtons, getzens, a jet tone yamahas etc but I now use Monette no. 6 mouthpieces so I'll probably never again need any of them! (sigh of relief!)

I have -

B6 LT
    B6 STC - 1
    B6LD
    B6L
    B6 cornet
    B6FL cornet
    B6FLG

I use the B6 for playing 3rd or 4th in the section, and small group jazz. When playing Lead or second (I generally play second mostly as I'm usually the soloist) I use the B6LD as I find the B6L a bit shallow. My playing has become far better since I got my first Monette and coupled with the Eclipse horns I have found a new level of playing which had previously eluded me. Great!!! ':woop:'