Your favourite Xmas Trumpet Carol?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Peter McNeill, Dec 21, 2009.

1. oldenick

oldenick Pianissimo User

Apr 10, 2007
    CT

2. Dale Proctor

Dale Proctor Utimate User

Jul 20, 2006
    Heart of Dixie
    My favorite may be "Greensleeves". However, I prefer my Christmas carols played on cornet, not trumpet...;-)

3. Masterwannabe

Masterwannabe Mezzo Piano User

Sep 11, 2009
    Colorado
    I think one of the greatest Christmas songs ever written is O' Holy Night. Several years back Manheim Steamroller did a wonderful arrangement of this ( it is on their 'A Fresh Aire Christmas' album ).

I liked this so much I took my 'C' trumpet and worked thru the melody and use the CD as a backup track. It lays well on the 'C' and really fits well with the rest of the orchestration. I have had the honor of being asked for quite a few years now to play this at the Christmas Eve services at several churches.

I really enjoy doing this but I must say that the song speaks to me so emotionally sometimes that it is difficult to get thru.

4. mchs3d

mchs3d Mezzo Forte User

Sep 30, 2005
    Provo, UT
    I did an arrangement of R. Vaughan Williams "Variations on Greensleeves" for piano and trumpet. It turned out to be quite nice.

5. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    "Es ist ein Ros' ensprungen" as set by Michael Praetorius, and "Wie soll ich dich empfangen" from Bach's Weihnachts Oratorium. It is Nr. 5 in Teil 1, and is best heard in context.

6. Markie

Markie Forte User

Jan 4, 2009
    Clarksburg, WV
    My favorite XMAS tune is one that I whipped up just this year called Snowflakes for a Matador. I'm hoping to have all the legals pinned down so by next year, it can be ready for world wide consumtion.
    My second fav would be O'Holy Night by the Jazz Ambassadors.

7. Ursa

Ursa Piano User

Jan 17, 2009
    Northern Michigan
    What he said. "Greensleeves" and "O Holy Night" are fantastic on the euphonium, too!

This has been a great thread! Keep the suggestions coming. I play unaccompanied by the Salvation Army red kettles and am always looking for good carols to add to my play list :play:.

8. kcmt01

kcmt01 Mezzo Forte User

Sep 25, 2009
    Polson, MT
  9. SFPat

SFPat Pianissimo User

Sep 20, 2009
    Houston
    I was going to suggest White Christmas from the same Phil Driscoll album