Your favourite Xmas Trumpet Carol?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Peter McNeill, Dec 21, 2009.

1. Dale Proctor

Dale Proctor Utimate User

Jul 20, 2006
    Heart of Dixie
    I've thought of doing that. What sort of arrangements do you have to make with the SA to play at one of their kettle locations (thinking ahead to next year...)? I'd like to take my little cornet down there and hopefully play well enough to motivate a little extra giving. :D

2. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
  3. mattc

mattc Pianissimo User

Dec 12, 2009
    California
    "Es ist ein Ros' ensprungen"

One of my favorites.

In college, we put together a brass ensemble to carol the dorms during finals week. The band director had made a set of arrangements many years before. I felt very touched when he gave me a set on my graduation. He knew how much I loved playing those tunes. (in case anyone on this list went to the Claremont Colleges, this is the set by William F. Russel--"woofer")

I love Greensleeves as played by the Philip Jones Brass Ensemble. I haven't found it on CD and my records are all in the past.

God Rest Ye Merry Gentlemen is one of my favorite melodies.

Matt

4. Ursa

Ursa Piano User

Jan 17, 2009
    Northern Michigan
    Every locale is different. Head down to your local Salvation Army center and ask. Here, in Manistee, Michigan, one signs up for a two-hour stint, just the same as a bell-ringer.

It's the best unpaid gig you'll ever play. I play in front of our local Kmart, which is situated in a valley of sorts--so my horns reverberate all through the parking lot. People get out of their cars, hear the live Christmas music, see the beautiful silver cornet and euphonium, and come up to the store with paper money in hand to stuff that kettle.

It will restore your faith in the goodness and generosity of your fellow man. You'll marvel at the power of your horn and good music to bring good cheer and inspire people.

5. a marching trumpet

a marching trumpet Mezzo Piano User

Feb 11, 2009
    Murfreesboro, TN
  6. Jurandr

Jurandr Pianissimo User

Feb 23, 2008
    Illinois
    Angels from the REAAAALM OF GLORY! It's simple and dramatic and loud- my favorite three qualities to trumpet music.

7. ozboy

ozboy Mezzo Forte User

Jan 17, 2007
    Australia
    Have Yourself a Merry Christmas. Harmonically very interesting.

8. mattc

mattc Pianissimo User

Dec 12, 2009
    California
    No, really, I could have gotten through the holiday season without that! :-)

9. Dale Proctor

Dale Proctor Utimate User

Jul 20, 2006
    Heart of Dixie
    I think Herbert L. Clarke had it right, at least when listening to that clip...:D

[​IMG]

10. mattc

mattc Pianissimo User

Dec 12, 2009
    California