Your favourite Xmas Trumpet Carol?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Peter McNeill, Dec 21, 2009.

1. Masterwannabe

Masterwannabe Mezzo Piano User

Sep 11, 2009
    Colorado
    ditto, ditto, ditto

2. kwgbright

kwgbright New Friend

Nov 24, 2009
    Escondido, CA
  3. rbdeli

rbdeli Mezzo Piano User

May 8, 2009
    CO
    Years ago, I came home after a Christmas Eve party and listened to Doc Severinsen doing a beautiful job with The Christmas Song (Chestnuts Roasting on an open Fire...)

Wish I had a recording of it. What a great tone.

4. ozboy

ozboy Mezzo Forte User

Jan 17, 2007
    Australia
    that song is known here as Have Yourself a Merry xmas. something about the octave jump at the beginning followed by the 6th in the next phrase makes it very appealing.

5. Peter McNeill

Peter McNeill Utimate User

Jan 30, 2009
    Melbourne Australia
  6. dhbailey

dhbailey Piano User

Jul 28, 2009
    New Hampshire
    I don't have a favorite carol, but I do have a current favorite Christmas Carol book to play out of -- Great Carols, from James Curnow Music, featuring arrangements by contemporary composers of carols Phil Smith requested arrangements of. It comes with the accompaniments on CD, and I'm having a great time playing along with the CD (not having an accompanist handy). Not simply run-throughs of the melody, but a terrific blending of original carol with new material to create excellent works which would sound great in any performance location. The trumpet parts aren't very rangy, getting up to a couple of high C's and an optional high D but mostly staying in lower territory.

7. veery715

veery715 Utimate User

Mar 6, 2007
    Ithaca NY
    I will add a second vote for It Came Upon a Midnight Clear. Not only a beautiful tune, it has lots of opportunities for harmonic "affectation" (read schmaltz).

And I love the lines: "From angels bending near the earth, / To touch their harps of gold" and the image they conjure up.

For some reason, when I sing it I begin to cry and that makes it very hard to sing. That does not happen when I play it on the trumpet.

veery
    just another sap

Last edited: Dec 23, 2009
  8. kcmt01

kcmt01 Mezzo Forte User

Sep 25, 2009
    Polson, MT
  9. operagost

operagost Forte User

Jan 25, 2009
    Spring City, PA, USA
  10. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    It is not even funny when testosterone completely blanks out the brain. No redeeming social value.