Your First Dent

Discussion in 'Trumpet Repair and Modification' started by someone, Feb 14, 2006.

1. Clarence

Clarence Mezzo Forte User

Jun 23, 2005
    san diego
    lol :lol:

2. The_Lip

The_Lip Pianissimo User

Jan 25, 2006
    Escondido, CA
    I dented my brand new '71 Olds Studio in an act of pure teenage ego (Hey, I'm a trumpet player, I'm allowed :lol: ). We were performing at a pep rally and I had a solo that I liked to end with a high G (drove the ladies wild :D ) Somewhere in the middle of the solo all intelligence drained from my body and I decided to hold out that G for as long as I could. You guessed it, I woke up on top of my horn, which now sported a decidedly oval bell that to this day points slightly to the right when viewed from playing position.

3. jdshankles

jdshankles New Friend

Nov 28, 2005
    Rochester, MN
    Welp, my first dent was in a practice room at St. Olaf College. I had just been told that I needed to change my embouchure. And then while practicing, my mouthpiece slipped out of my had and hit the bell. I just about cried...what a day!

Second dent...not my fault. I asked a fellow trumpet player to hold my Strad right before a concert. He decided to hold it by the mouthpiece. Unfortunately, it wasn't an integral mouthpiece, and the horn released itself. Landed right on the bell and gave a nice spiral twist to the whole thing. I didn't freak out. I just quietly left and spent some alone time with my horn.

---jd

4. GetzenK700

GetzenK700 New Friend

Feb 7, 2006
    Hickory Hills, Illinois
    ok, here it goes...quite frankly i have no idea when i got my first dent, but there is one that i remember very vividly because i had never seen anything like it before. It was durring a fifth grade band rehearsal. I had just started off playing on a Holton "God only knows what series" horn(eh...nothin much). But, we went to put our horns up and i hit the stand and dented the rim (not too rare). But thats not all. Immediatly after i hit the stand, it slipped from my grasp and fell to the floor, thus twisting my bell into a seemingly metal death trap and jamming the first valve slide. I played on that thing up untill my freshman year of high school when i got my Getzen 700SP. (which doesnt have a dent on it)