Your first major audition

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by B15M, Oct 17, 2005.

1. B15M

B15M Forte User

Dec 30, 2003
    Monroe Ct.
    Hi Manny,

I was wondering if you could share with us what was your first major audition. Did you know all the stuff on the list? Was the list big? What were you thinking when you applied?

Maybe your first audition was your first job? I know something about Boston but did you have a job before that? Did you go to work rite out of college? Was there on the job training involved?

Thanks Manny

2. Manny Laureano

Manny Laureano Utimate User

Sep 29, 2004
    USA
    My first audition was for Dallas, 2nd trumpet.

I was a senior and the audition happened relatively early in the season. The list wasn't huge, as I recall, but full of a lot of stuff I really didn't know that well.

I was very green, as it was my first, and made several mistakes. The first was that I only prepared the list from the excerpt books which were sadly lacking when it came to knowing the whole piece.

Well, that's why they're called "excerpt books", Manny

The second mistake I made was bringing a Wispa mute to practice on. Instead of finding a ball room or conference room to ractice the list the night before, I blew my brains out with the bloody mute in my bell. Wispa mutes are okay, I guess if you don't push hard against them. But that's what I did.

One annoying part of that audition was having a proctor who was a bit of an ass, if you want to know the truth. I set up to play the Haydn second movement and played it. It went very nicely on Vacchiano's Besson Eb I'd bought from him. After I ended and was getting ready for the first excerpt, the proctor said "That was really nice... and you're from NEW YORK? Wow...". So, the idea that one could be from New York and be a musical player was apparently a foreign one to that fellow, whomever he was. It was just a needlessly silly thing to say, I thought.

The rest of the audition went poorly. My chops were not right as a result of the shellacking I gave them the night before and I missed too many notes. They put up Ravel's Piano Concerto and it was fine until they asked me to play the end of the first movement, which I'd never heard, much less seen. I remember Ein Heldenleben was a cackfest. Yucch!

So, my first was my worst and they all went progressively better and I, more importantly, learned something at each one that I took in to the next one. It added up when I got the job in Seattle. In Boston, I played my best but Charlie just played better and showed a greater variety in his arsenal than I did. In short, he played like a seasoned pro while I was, at 26, still a kid.

But life has a lovely way of working out and I love my life here and really couldn't ask to play with a better orchestra. There might be a couple as good but none better. It's all a question of what one thinks music should be about.

ML

3. trickg

trickg Utimate User

Oct 26, 2003
    Baltimore/DC
    Manny, in many ways the audition I took in July was my first, and I can't believe how many parallels there are between your audition in Dallas and my audition in July for the Naval Academy band. Of course you were undoubtedly playing at a higher level than I was, but still, (and please don't take this the wrong way) it makes me feel good to know that even pros have bad days from time to time.

Wow!

The best part about your post: it shows that good guys DO finish first! :-)

Thanks for that Manny - it made my night.

4. tpter1

tpter1 Forte User

Jan 12, 2005
    Northern New York
    Ditto what Pat just said. But the facilitator at my first one was quite professional. I felt a bit more educated going into my last one; if I get to go be heard for this coming one (they will be sending out invites after the deadline next month), I'll feel even better. Thanks, Manny! (In more ways than one...)

5. B15M

B15M Forte User

Dec 30, 2003
    Monroe Ct.
    Manny,

One more thing,

The same question except this time we want to hear about the first audition where you got the job

6. Tarter_trpt8

Tarter_trpt8 Pianissimo User

Jan 17, 2005
    St. Paul, MN
    How old were you Manny when you won your first audition??

Jeremy