Your Marching Band Stories

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by RHSbigbluemarchingband, Apr 26, 2009.

1. RHSbigbluemarchingband

RHSbigbluemarchingband Mezzo Piano User

Jan 17, 2009
    I decided to put a more entertaining story in place of the last one.

1) it was me and the drumline in front of our band, my friend was bass 2 so i caught up with the drumline and walked with them most of the time, well we noticed the entire band was following us and all the staff members were gone, so we just started walking in a circle and the entire band followed. We did big loops in the parking lot until the staff found us, dying laughing.

2)So it was trumpet sectionals during band camp i believe, and we ran to this tree. You all know how trumpeters are. Well there were these eighth graders laughing at us for being in band camp, so two seniors started going hey, hey you. Whats up, how ya doing, and pretty much annoying them like crazy. The entire trumpet section chimed in, and instead of telling us to stop our staff was just laughing, the kids were getting jokes only high school band kids would understand thrown at them and eventually ran away. That was our 35 minute warm ups in sectionals.

What are your favorite/worse memories of marching band or corps?

Last edited: Apr 28, 2009
  2. y0da777

y0da777 Pianissimo User

Feb 28, 2009
    do i live here?????
    ok it was our first time running through the show all the way during band camp. in the middle of the first movement, our lead player's pants fell down to his ankles, and he went through the rest of the show tripping on his pants. lol good times....

3. jdostie

jdostie Piano User

Feb 20, 2008
    Pretty silly really . . .

We used to do this breathing exercise, at the end of which we'd blow very hard through the horns - enough to make them whistle. Anyway, one day at lunch before soprano sectionals we got the wise idea to fill our horns with water. The horn instructor started the warm up with breathing exercises, and when the moment came we had about 16 horns spewing/launching water out of their bells.

It doesn't sound like much, but it sure got a big laugh.

4. ChopsGone

ChopsGone Forte User

Jan 26, 2009
    Northern California
    How about marching contest with two ranks OD'd on rum? Even though we marched 12 X 10 back then, it was hard to miss.

5. TxLcTrumpet

TxLcTrumpet New Friend

Apr 27, 2009
    Houston, TX
    The bus rides back home. :D

6. willbarber

willbarber Piano User

Nov 22, 2008
    Medina, NY
    12 x 10??
    Try 7 x about 20!

Best part is rank competitions.
    Stand at attention for 5-10 minutes without moving in the parade block, with the adult staff and drum major running around trying to get you to laugh, then calling horns up and running the show, trying to get perfect, or your rank gets docked a point.
    Worst memory ever happened during those...Dave, our drum major, running down the ranks with a twirler's baton....and a twirler's skirt and leotard on!

7. TheSlur

TheSlur New Friend

Feb 22, 2009
    Our marching band was playing feeling good by Michael Buble at the Famous Hoover competitions in Hoover, Alabama. One of our rivals was playing the same show, so our section leader decided to do something crazy. He took the whole entire song up an octave and we ended up getting straight ones and best in class in everythng except majorettes, which we didn't have.

8. supposeda3

supposeda3 Piano User

Jan 3, 2009
    Central PA
    #1. Our first halftime show this year, our drum major (who is horribly stuck up lol) attempted to high step during his running entrance. He had never rehearsed it before, he thought it would be a cool suprise. Well, he got moving pretty fast, and hit a patch of mud, and wiped out, right on the 50 yd line. The whole band was laughing so hard, the first song was just horrible....

#2. Our band's signature thing is twirling fire on the batons. Two years ago, we were in a playoff game, and we went to a field we had never been to, which had artificial turf (flammable). Nobody gave the turf a second thought, we just went out and did our thing. Unfortunately, one of the seniors dropped her baton, lighting a patch on the 48 yd line on fire. The entire twirling sections started stomping out the fire, abandoning their routines. Immediately after the show, the other team's furious athletic director came running over to our director, and yelled "YOU IDIOT! YOUR STUDENTS LIT MY 52 YD LINE ON FIRE." Most people with half a brain know a football field has no 52 yd line.

#3. In junior high, we did a scatter drill in a muddy competition. Our overly enthusiastic tuba player was running out of control, and he bowled over the lead trumbone player, both of them tried to get right back up, which made them slip all over the place. They were COVERED in mud.

#4. We were in a standing parade competition in Boston the other year, and at the end of our song, all of our five baton twirlers dropped their batons at the same time. They all tried to pick them up at the same time, during the final measure of the song. They didnt have time to stand back up, so they quickly got in a pose on the final note. It was so syncronized, the judges thought it was on purpose. We won the competition. :-)

Last edited: Apr 28, 2009
  9. Jurandr

Jurandr Pianissimo User

Feb 23, 2008
    Illinois
    My freshman year, all of the trumpets actually practiced their parts on their own. We dominated. Then we all got stuck up about how good we were and didn't practice the next year. *bad* idea.

One of our drum majors successfully did a backflip off her podium after a show. Nobody was expecting it, but it rocked.

10. lemmon13

lemmon13 New Friend

Mar 7, 2009
    ok so this isnt really a funny story but more a lesson to not take your nice horn to marching band. so 2 years ago my band went to a marching band competition and the bus driver didnt stay on the buses and somebody stole 2 xenos 1 student trumpet and a vintage schilke.....this was before i went to my high school [im a freshman now] but we havent gone back ...until this commin year. =O im taking my student trumpet for sure!