Your Marching Band Stories

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by RHSbigbluemarchingband, Apr 26, 2009.

1. Sungman

Sungman Pianissimo User

Dec 23, 2008
    Delaware
    Well I have a bad story and a good one...

Well I was swinging around my trumpet for show and my PRECIOUS mouthpiece fell out and landed on the grass, it was unharmed with only a slight scratch...then I put my mouthpiece and trumpet away in the case and the case flung open! Dropping both my horn and my mouthpiece, that mouthpiece has two flat sides on the backbore but my trumpet survived unharmed.

Now a good story ;)

We had a football game against another school and a for some reason we got the scoop on their halftime show music. We really wanted to mess with them so we play their show music, Thriller, right when they were getting on the field.

2. sonicgeo2

sonicgeo2 Pianissimo User

Every year at band camp, the section leader (which was me this year) picks the hottest day of the week for a "special sectional." We have a freshman say, "I need some cheering up, does anyone have a good joke?" That's when the section leader says yes, and tells the longest "joke" ever. It usually lasts between 30 and 40 minutes, and it's actually not funny at all... it just wastes time :D

Another fun thing us trumpets would do is try to get away with playing our trumpets upside down for as long as possible without being caught... or play left handed... or march with the horn backwards... you get the picture. I love how much faster rehearsals went while pulling these antics.

3. TxLcTrumpet

TxLcTrumpet New Friend

Apr 27, 2009
    Houston, TX
    Not a marching band story, but in concert band, whenever upperclassmen want to mess with the freshmen, we would all bring our horns up during a long rest and act like we're about to play. Then all the freshmen would scramble their horns to their mouths and realize that we've still got like, 20 measures of rest. :D

4. Bachstul

Bachstul Mezzo Forte User

Jan 25, 2009
    :evil: All my marching experience in school was in a straight line to the principal's office :evil: :bleah: :bleah: :bleah: :bleah:

(You can't say I didn't warn you RHS!)

5. RHSbigbluemarchingband

RHSbigbluemarchingband Mezzo Piano User

Jan 17, 2009
    hahahaha bachstul, you did warn me so i dont know what to say now....

6. andy-rockstar

andy-rockstar Pianissimo User

Jan 6, 2009
    Anchorage, AK
    Ah yes. . . I remember those. Especially the ones at night.

7. lemmon13

lemmon13 New Friend

Mar 7, 2009
    ah yes!

8. Snuggles

Snuggles New Friend

May 3, 2009
    Well couple memories I guess.. ones more social but involves band girls so yeah.

1) Definitely the band trips during the summer or spring break, what have you. Disney World was especially fun for my band. The trips really make invincible bonds and friendships and are just plain fun.

2) I dated 2 twins in band, that was interesting...and my director has made a joke about it before.

3) Malaguena. :)

9. mimic

mimic Pianissimo User

May 3, 2009
    Pennsylvania
    Our local town decided to have it's first Xmas parade to bring in the shopping season. Up north you can't depend on the weather holding out and it was an evening parade. Well by the time we started marching down main st. 6 inches of snow had fallen and more was still coming down. It was so cold the reeded instruments hardly worked and people kept slipping in the snow. It was a disaster but still a lot of fun.

10. lemmon13

lemmon13 New Friend

Mar 7, 2009

do u think u could send me the music to that via private message:D