Your most memorable show !!

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Hoghorn, Jan 2, 2009.

1. Hoghorn

Hoghorn Pianissimo User

Dec 30, 2008
    Manitowoc Wi.
    OK lets hear it, whats your most memorable show, one that you look back on and go WOW !!! I have a few...

I'll start..... 1976 Bicentennial, July 4th, I was in the NYC army band, 130 pieces. We played a concert in Central Park that evening. Our Encore was the 1812 ovature...With 6 109mm Howitzer cannons for accompanyment, there was a director for the band and a director for the cannons, with fireworks and all....Very large crowd and they went CRAZY at the end..... Fun times, it made your hair stand up !!! :thumbsup:

Next !!!

Hoghorn

Last edited: Jan 2, 2009
  2. jason_boddie

jason_boddie Piano User

Dec 26, 2008
    Jacksonville, FL
    The one I remeber the most was a competition that my high school jazz band played. We did a 2 song set, it included the studio charts for Mangoine's "Land of Make Believe", and Maynards "Brass Machine". It was a blast.

3. Hoghorn

Hoghorn Pianissimo User

Dec 30, 2008
    Manitowoc Wi.
    Very cool Jason, I bet it was a riot !!

4. jason_boddie

jason_boddie Piano User

Dec 26, 2008
    Jacksonville, FL
    My lips hurt afterwards.But definitly fun

5. Hoghorn

Hoghorn Pianissimo User

Dec 30, 2008
    Manitowoc Wi.
    Isn't it amazing how the energy level of whats happening at the moment raises your playing level !! Thats what makes it so memorable !! Hold on to that one !!!

Hoghorn

6. Bear

Bear Forte User

Apr 30, 2004
    USA
    Most memorable show?... The next one.

7. Hoghorn

Hoghorn Pianissimo User

Dec 30, 2008
    Manitowoc Wi.
    Good, No...Excellent answer Bear...Got any "Past" Show to share ????

Kinda like the Blues Brothers Movie "Next gig is gonna be great, Just wait" !!

Hoghorn

8. Bear

Bear Forte User

Apr 30, 2004
    USA
    Ok, past shows... off the top of my head I would say that one of my most memorable shows was when I played lead in the backup band that played for the Temptations on one of their tours. I was a little freshman in college, just got the lead spot in the top jazz ensemble, one two hour rehearsal the day before the show. The first song was high C city. Literally, there were 56 (yes, I counted them... 56) high c's one right after another. That was my first "professional" gig where I got paid (outside of the church, TAPS, etc stuff I've been doing for years). It was an eye opener. The crowd roarin', the Temptations doin' their thing. They brought their own pianist/band leader, and he was kickin'. Really a lot of fun and I believe that concert is what imbedded into my mind that I wanted to be a player for a career.... Now if I can just get this MM degree under my belt and find a job. Only down side is that we never got to speak to the singers... had to use the back door, etc... lol.

9. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    the opening show of the 1976 Winter Olympics in Innsbruck, Austria. My Schilke delrin rim mouthpiece was stolen shortly before and I was playing in sub zero temperatures with some other mouthpiece that I happened to have laying around.

The second most memorable was 1978 with a portugese show band. Syncopation was in 16ths and there was plenty of distraction with the gorgeous dancers................

10. Hoghorn

Hoghorn Pianissimo User

Dec 30, 2008
    Manitowoc Wi.
    Bear, sounds like a gas..too bad you didn't get a chance to talk to those girls Huh !! Imagine that, those girls not paying any attention to a TRUMPET PLAYER !!! They must have been deaf !!!

Rowuk, The Olympics...way cool !
    Don't ya just hate it when you have to play AND watch gorgeous portugese dancers................

Hoghorn