Your most memorable show !!

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Hoghorn, Jan 2, 2009.

1. supposeda3

supposeda3 Piano User

Jan 3, 2009
    Central PA
    Since I'm a senior in high school, I haven't really had too many shows to look back on. But, my most memorable one was as a Jr. I was playing 2nd trumpet in our jazz band (because they won't let Jr's play lead) and 2 hours before the concert, my director tells me I'm going to improv a solo. I had never even tried it before, so I was going in absolutely blind. Well, I ripped off something insane, and I still have no clue how I did it. The crowd just went ballistic, it was so cool. I also had four other printed solos in the concert, and afterwards I was mobbed in the lobby by audience members who loved it.
    Now, almost a year later, it doesn't seem like much, because I now play 1st trumpet in the same band, and I improv at every concert we do, but it was so cool to do it for the first time.

2. Hoghorn

Hoghorn Pianissimo User

Dec 30, 2008
    Manitowoc Wi.
    Hey Supposeda3,
    Thanks for posting your moment !! Sounds like you were "In The Zone" for that one !!
    It's a good feeling when you put your horn down and people are looking at you and going "WOW!!" Keep it up bud, keep it up, there will be more for you, it's like my brother says, "You never know where your horn will take you".

Hoghorn

3. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Like I said somewhere else, hate is an emotion only for the most despicable.

There was nothing despicable about that road show! There was a lot of ink on the page though, so my mind and eyes did not have much time to wander

4. Hoghorn

Hoghorn Pianissimo User

Dec 30, 2008
    Manitowoc Wi.
    Just a figure of speach....(hate)....here in the US it's used many ways, I don't mean to upset you with the word......how about........ANNOY.....would that work better for you ?

Hoghorn

5. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    No hate is fine. Like practice, I have a different approach than many. I am not the semantics police! I know what you mean and just try to answer the question based on my history.

6. B15M

B15M Forte User

Dec 30, 2003
    Monroe Ct.
    It's hard to come up with just one.

I played with the local symphony and John Pizzarelli was the guest artist with his band. They were so good that I should have been paying the symphony to be there.

I played for Bobby Vinton in the back up band. It was interesting how the show was put together. They had the timing down perfect. maybe it's the same show he has been doing since 1960 or so.

I played at a collage formal dance with a big band. It was like we were rock stars or something. After every song the crowd roared. They kept screaming for more and the treated us so well. Food on breaks. Good stuff too.

Our high school bicentennial concert. That takes me back. I had a solo in front of a huge audience. All of the bands in town did a combined concert.
    I got to play for every parent in town and all the musicians and former band directors. Thousands of people and I was in HS.

7. Nerf

Nerf Piano User

Dec 7, 2008
    Virginia Beach, VA
    Let's see...

All of mine were way back when I was in college. That's where I did most of my playing. Our marching band has this tradition of playing a really cool arrangement of Amazing Grace at Homecoming. There's this really "naked" trumpet solo on the 3rd verse. My junior year I got to play it. The place was packed, my sister was in the alumni band on the field w/me, my parents were in the stands watching us both march together for the 1st time. (she graduated WAY before me mind you). So that's the 1st one.

The 2nd one...again in college. I was asked to play a circus gig in Pensacola, FL with Barnum & Bailey's. It was a 6 show weekend. I couldn't make it to the Friday afternoon rehearsal because I was in class/driving down from the University of Southern Mississippi in Hattiesburg, MS. So, I walked into the place about an hour before I had to be there. I looked at the lead book (all the books were about 3 inches thick :-o) & decided that I liked my "private parts" where they were! ;-) I looked at the 2nd book I decided I'd try that one. I sat down I started warming up. All the folks coming in to play were people I knew. The circus provided a kickin' rhythm section, a lead trumpet & a band leader who could SCREAM on trumpet. The lead player gave us "the skinny" & we started. I played all 6 shows one handed flipping pages with the other. We did a show Friday night, 3 Saturday & 2 Sunday. Each show was about 2.5 - 3 hours. It was "blow your brains out" the entire show. All sight reading jazz charts too which I didn't think I was all that good at. When the last show was finished the lead player told me that if I ever wanted to give him a call & I had a chair to sit in! I thought that was pretty cool! :cool: When I got back to school on Monday my 1st rehearsal was jazz lab that I was playing lead in. I skipped lunch before to warm up. My lips were so swollen that it took about 45 minutes to get a sound out of the bell that sounded kinda like a trumpet!! :D All in all I think it was a good experience for me.

8. bigtiny

bigtiny Mezzo Forte User

Aug 14, 2005
    Let's see:

-two performances with 'Bogus Pomp' a Frank Zappa repertory band, one performance with the Florida Orchestra, both with Ike Willis.

-improvising with my band SHIM and the Sam Rivers trio

-playing the Regattabar in Cambridge, MA with my group KONK several years ago. The band had a very good night

bigtiny

9. Bob Grier

Bob Grier Forte User

May 4, 2007
    Greensboro, NC
    It would have to be the last concert by Lou Rawls. I was contractor for the show. He looked very thin but still sounded great. gave a great show. It was in November, he died from cancer in December. The second memorable show was with Ray Charles

10. Meldog

Meldog Pianissimo User

Nov 24, 2004
    Blaine, ME
    I have two that come right to mind. The first one was back about 5 years or so when I played the lead part in Les Miserables. The final show was some of the my best playing no matter if I was on picc, flugel, or my Bb, just all around some of my best playing throughout the range.

The other one was this past December. I play in a local community/college band that is pretty good. Because of a couple of circumstances I ended being the one player on the 1st parts. Of course the director picked a trumpet heavy program but it was also some of my best playing in many years. I am not practicing much due to teaching and my web design but when I do practice it's extremely efficient so right now my overall playing is just really good. It was a lot of fun to play that program and play it so well. Had a ton of compliments after which really felt good!