Your Order List?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by BrassBandMajor, Feb 24, 2016.

1. Clarkvinmazz

Clarkvinmazz Forte User

May 11, 2013
    Oberlin, Ohio
    yup, it was a combined birthday and christmas gift. my parents are both musicians and they understood that since i was in an orchestra i would likely need a c. they got me the one my teacher suggested.

2. MusicianOfTheNight

MusicianOfTheNight Pianissimo User

Jan 24, 2016
    New York/Austria
    2009 Jupiter JTR-700
    2010 Extremely old bugle
    2014 Yamaha YTR-232
    2014 Amazing quality Marceau Cornet
    2015 Used a Lechner Bb piston Trumpet over the summer.
    Hope to add a couple soon!;-)

Recommended order
    Bb
    Piccolo or Flügelhorn (depending on jazz or classical)
    C Trumpet
    Cornet
    Other keyed trp

3. Peter McNeill

Peter McNeill Utimate User

Jan 30, 2009
    Melbourne Australia
    As for order of importance for what I do,

What would I do, if I had my time over again?

1. Bb trumpet
    2. Bb Cornet
    3. Flugelhorn
    4. Valve Trombone
    5. Slide Trombone
    6. C Trumpet
    7. Ed/D trumpet

What did I actually do?
    I started on Bb British Bugle in 1970 (Grade 8)
    I bought my first trumpet myself in 1971 (worked in a lumber yard over school holidays to pay for it)
    Had lessons immediately with Professionals. Range on Open partials was to High G above High C when starting trumpet.
    Selmer Bb Pro trumpet bought by my Dad in 1971
    Bach Mercedes 1973
    Getzen Eterna Bass Trumpet 1978
    Olds CT Flugelhorn 1978
    Olds Ambassador Trombone 1979
    My First Bach Strad in 1981
    Gave up serious playing in 1981 - concentrated on my Real job
    Clarinet/Flute/Piano/Guitar at various stages over next few decades
    All others have come later after 2000 - my comeback stage, then my safari stage, then my expanding stage...
    Probably at the contemplating Stage now...

4. Rickyroughneck

Rickyroughneck Pianissimo User

Apr 22, 2012
    Parents money:

1. Dad's "Melody Maker", unknown brand but fairly old.
    2. Yamaha 4335G

My money, a dark dark period:

3. Beat up, high pitch 1900s besson Bb cornet.
    4. Cheap Chinese made "Sebastian Buckley" cornet.
    5. Antoine Courtois "Brevete" trumpet
    6. Horrid flugelhorn, bought and sold straight away.

Then came good instruments (selling all the others):

7. B&S challenger2
    8. Cerveny 803PX flugelhorn
    9. Carolbrass pocket trumpet
    10. Soon to arrive rawbrass Carolbrass 5000L-YLT

I might pick up a cornet at some point, but I am in no hurry.

For me the order of importance is:

-Primary Bb
    -Flugelhorn
    -Second Bb (with different playing characteristics and as a backup)
    -Cornet

5. barliman2001

barliman2001 Fortissimo User

Jul 5, 2010
    Vienna, Austria, Europe
    I started on piano when I was six, had a very thorough grounding on that instrument, went on to play all kinds of contests... sang a lot, first in childrens' choir, then in respectable church choirs. Trumpet always ws a fascination for me; but when my father once gave me a toy trumpet with ten buttons (for ten different notes), I got out a small wire saw and in three days' patient work (I must have been five or so) neatly removed seven of the ten "valves" "because proper trumpets only have three!"

My enthusiasm for correctness was unappreciated, though... I was scolded for being so destructive and told to return to the piano...

Fate then took a hand... first destroying my piano career by making me have an accident that involved putting my right hand through a glass door, with considerable lacerations to my wrist including a severed nerve. Result - no feeling left in three fingers of the right hand. Movement was unrestricted, so I did not care, but was rather glad to be rid of the tinglebox. And then, second, Armenia had a big earthquake in 1988. Lots and lots of casualties, and an immense wave of help from all over the world. Munich University ran a charity tombola. In duty bound, I bought one ticket (priced One Deutschmark, which was more or less 50 US cents) and won a bugle. Just a tube bent twice, with a bell and something resembling a mouthpiece.

I went home with it and said to myself: "That means something - you have to try and produce some sound." So I retired to the bathroom with a record cover (Maurice André, Roi de la Trompette) and held that up beside my face in front of the mirror. And tried to squirm my face into some kind of semblance to Maurice's embouchure...
    First, Air.
    Second, Noise.
    Third, Sound!
    Since then I've styled myself "student of Maurice André" (It became truth later on, when I met him, helped him to get his picc repaired in Munich on a late Saturday night and we became friends).

Next day, I went into a large music store in Munich and right behind the door, they had big pile of trumpet cases, with a placard "Beginner's Trumpet Set - DM 95" (forty bucks, more or less).
    So I got a black leatherette case, with one shiny brass Chinese Comet TSO, an unbranded 7C mouthpiece, a snake, a bottle of oil and inevitably a pair of white gloves. Still got that hooter; I always get it out for rough outdoor events - winter funerals, football games and the like.

Next day, secured a teacher, and with him, a week later, got myself a Bach Strad C with Bb conversion kit... and if I continue about my instrument history from this point onward, my wife will be very annoyed because I will still be sitting at the keyboard tomorrow morning and not be available to prepare her first cup of coffee and bring it to her in bed... as is my invariable custom (she does the rest of the breakfast...). Let it suffice to say that there are a very few (six or seven) horns that have been with me almost all the time and will continue to do so, but most others tend to come and go according to the needs of the moment.

6. Sethoflagos

Sethoflagos Utimate User

Aug 7, 2013
    Lagos, Nigeria
    Bb Trumpet B&H Imperial
    Piano (who cares which)
    Bb Trumpet Yamaha 232
    Rhythm Guitar (sh**e)
    Bass Guitar (sh**e)
    Bb Trumpet Getzen 300
    Bb Cornet B&H Imperial I think (loaned)
    Bb mezzo Trombone Jupiter
    Bb pocket Trumpet Jupiter
    Bb Trumpet Holton ST307S
    Bb Trumpet Geneva Symphony
    + signature list

Wish I'd not bought the sh**e and kept the Holton. And got my own Sovereign cornet. And had the money at the right time.

7. J. Jericho

J. Jericho Fortissimo User

Mar 16, 2011
    Actual:

Alto horn
    French horn
    Trumpet
    Cornet
    Bugle
    Flugelhorn
    Field Trumpet
    Trombone

Preferred:

Trumpet
    Cornet
    Flugelhorn
    Field trumpet
    Trombone

8. Lukarino

Lukarino Pianissimo User

Dec 8, 2015
    San Diego, CA
    Holton Cornet

Yamaha Xeno Trumpet

Hopefully next some horn just for fun... Looking at a Soprano trombone or a cheap rotary.

9. kehaulani

kehaulani Fortissimo User

May 14, 2011
    Hawaian homey
    Jaw bone of an ass.

10. Dale Proctor

Dale Proctor Utimate User

Jul 20, 2006
    Heart of Dixie
    Is that code for Olds Ambassador? You could do some damage with one of those...:lol: